Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people hate Boris Johnson as foreign secretary? watch

ReputationRep:
    He was a great mayor of London and popular and loved. Have we forgotten that?

ReputationRep:
    Because he's a hypocritical **** who has bashed countless politicians/diplomats out there on numerous occasions. Not really the best fit for the person representing our country in foreign affairs, is he..

ReputationRep:
    He was not a great London Mayor. A cable car to nowhere, buses with conductors that don't take fares, bus fares increased by 50%, low house building numbers, and a man with no real grasp of detail. Three jobs Johnson for a while, never mind his numerous alleged affairs.

ReputationRep:
    At the most charitable of explanations it's because he's unconventional and politically incorrect. Not typical traits for this role.

Add fuel to the fire with his opportunism an duplicity.

Teresa must rate him however. And view him better inside than out. Still can't quite fathom why he didn't stand. Now perhaps there'll be another bite of the cherry if he doesnt **** foreign affairs up totally.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    He does a **** job at everything he does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Steady on folks, he just needs someone who could give him a few lessons on diplomacy and tact when dealing with foreigners. Is the Duke of Edinburgh free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    One can't be considered to have a good track record if newspapers can write whole articles about the people, cities and countries someone has offended.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ophobic-gaffes

I happen to occasionally find Frankie Boyle vaguely amusing. I would not recommend he be a secretary of state. Same with Boris.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the political or In/Out leanings are of these so-called haters. I imagine FredOrJohn might be one as would the many yet to be adequately schooled in the University of Life young people viewing Corbyn as a Deity. So, it's kinda like this imo ....

Spoiler:
    Show

I agree. I think he will make a great foreign secretary.

ReputationRep:
    Was he great? What were his achievements? Go on tell us...

ReputationRep:
    Any credit the Foreign Secretary once had with the public has been utterly ruined by his treachery over the referendum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Any credit the Foreign Secretary once had with the public has been utterly ruined by his treachery over the referendum.
    Some of the public. Let's let history determine whether it was treachery shall we.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    Some of the public. Let's let history determine whether it was treachery shall we.
    Even for many Leavers, the fact that he led the Brexit campaign not out of any belief in its aims but purely for his ambitions for the Premiership (and that he is actually privately a Remainer who will seek to dilute Brexiter ambitions) should be seen as treachery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Even for many Leavers, the fact that he led the Brexit campaign not out of any belief in its aims but purely for his ambitions for the Premiership (and that he is actually privately a Remainer who will seek to dilute Brexiter ambitions) should be seen as treachery.
    He occasionally does some things that make him look stupid. The Thames Zip Line with the Union Jack flag is a good example. He occasionally says things that make him sound stupid. Offending foreign politicians like the Turkish leader is a good example

However, he is NOT stupid and I don't believe that he would think fronting the "Take Back Control" campaign and participating in the televised debate would help the cause of becoming PM. I think most people actually thought the Referendumb outcome would be to remain. Let's assume Boris happened to privately be one of them it would have been utterly daft to stand behind 'Out' would it not.

If he believed Out had a chance of winning but didn't actually believe in what he was saying that too would have been daft.

I think he probably had to withdraw from the leadership campaign because Gove stabbed him in the back with the unsubstantiated claims he made about Boris. I also suspect there were too many Europhile Tory MPs to enable him to command authority across the party in Government.

I obviously can't prove any of what I've said one way or the other but it stacks up as bit more plausible than the conclusion you came to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Was he great? What were his achievements? Go on tell us...
    setting up a great london olympics.

being really funny

promoting cycling

ReputationRep:
    He should have been Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    Think he will make a great Foreign Secretary.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, his buffoonery and lack of tact make him unsuitable for a position where respect for other cultures and customs is a must.

Secondly (admittedly this isn't his fault), putting him in as foreign secretary has very little to do with his ability to do the job. Theresa May knows that he still has ambitions for leadership and that he would be a dangerous man to give free time to so that he can roam about the back-benches causing trouble. Therefore he has to have a cabinet position and which position is better than foreign secretary for keeping a rival at arms length from everybody else?

ReputationRep:
    setting up a great london olympics.

being really funny

promoting cycling
    What exactly did he do for the Olympics?
    Being really funny? Ah great should we make frankie Boyle PM then? I'd rather a politician be good at their job than simply funny.

* And Boris bikes were originally Kens idea.

I'll ask in particular, what did Boris Johnson do that was so great? I'm sorry but 'being funny' doesn't count as a great political achievement.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.