The Student Room Group

What can I do to make sure I get a training contract with the Big 4?

I am currently studying Law at the University of Bristol. I am about to begin my final year and I am on track for a 2.1 degree. So far I have held a few committee positions in two societies (going to be Treasurer in one of them next year), worked part-time for the uni as a peer mentor, volunteered at a charity shop and I will have completed a summer internship at an international law firm in my home country by the time I start making applications.

I am really set on securing a job offer before I graduate. I've been considering training as a tax advisor at a Big 4 firm, but I don't know if I can compete with other applicants who have accountancy and finance-related degrees and/or completed a relevant internship.

How can I maximise my chances of securing a training contract with the Big 4? Would my chances improve if I did a masters programme in say taxation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Degree subject doesn't matter for almost any role at the Big 4. You won't have any problem in terms of competition because of that. There are so many positions that they offer each year, so if you just get by the pre-screening and the online tests then it's all about your competency for the job and your degree will probably not even get mentioned.
Original post by KTS89
Degree subject doesn't matter for almost any role at the Big 4. You won't have any problem in terms of competition because of that. There are so many positions that they offer each year, so if you just get by the pre-screening and the online tests then it's all about your competency for the job and your degree will probably not even get mentioned.

That is good to hear :smile: How can I prove my competency, provided that I get by the initial stage?
Reply 3
Original post by Ratach
That is good to hear :smile: How can I prove my competency, provided that I get by the initial stage?

Well, you know just pass the phone interview (either a competency or a strengths based one) and then perform well in the Assessment Centre and possibly the final stage partner interview and you're in.
Reply 4
I have done an internship in tax at one of those Big Four, and I can tell lots of ppl have absolutely no accounting background at all, I have met quite a few engineers and even an English graduate.

This because you will receive training in ICAS/ICAEW with everyone else before you start your job, if you have done an accounting degree, this will certainly give you a competitive advantage at this stage, i.e some exemptions, so less exams

Apart from that, to be fair, I know those engineering graduate with no accounting background did struggle a bit in basics like bookkeeping.
You can't

chances are you won't get in, best of luck though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending