The Student Room Group

How close are you with your parents ?

Hi guys I dunno if anyone else feels the same way about their parents but I for one am not at all close with my parents. I never discuss anything with them like my grades at school or my personal issues or anything and for the most part I just ignore them, and I can't way till I go to uni so I can just get away from them and live my own life for once.

can anyone relate to this ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys I dunno if anyone else feels the same way about their parents but I for one am not at all close with my parents. I never discuss anything with them like my grades at school or my personal issues or anything and for the most part I just ignore them, and I can't way till I go to uni so I can just get away from them and live my own life for once.

Yeah, I can relate. I haven't seen my dad in years, but I'm not that close with my mum. We don't argue, but we just aren't that close. We don't hug or anything and I don't talk to her much, but I do obviously love her a lot.
I can relate to this.
I am not close with my Dad at all, since we haven't spoken in 10 years. Me and my Mum really aren't close either. I actually wasn't exactly bought up with my Mum for the first few years anyway but even after that we just didn't develop that "Mother and daughter" relationship.
We don't really get along very much and we have completely different ideologies. Most of the time when my Mum says something I usually just walk away because I know a heated argument would arise if I said something.

Does it hurt me that I am not close with them? Of course, but it's just not much of a big issue for me anymore, then it was 3 years ago. Some people just weren't supposed to be close with their parents and I am one of them. I accept it and move on.

I am like you, moving to uni In about 2 months time and I am overwhelmed about the idea of being away from my family (particularly my Mum) It would be nice to have more freedom and find myself and to not have someone at my neck constantly.
not close with them at all.... sometimes i feel like i desperately needs to leave the house and just live away
uni time will be the best :moon:
Reply 4
Original post by Platopus
Yeah, I can relate. I haven't seen my dad in years, but I'm not that close with my mum. We don't argue, but we just aren't that close. We don't hug or anything and I don't talk to her much, but I do obviously love her a lot.

yh thats the thing like i just see her as my mum and not like as a friend or something who I'd want to go out of my way to talk to and yh i don't argue with my parents but i barely speak to them and before they would get annoyed but now they just think I'm shy yet when I'm around people who are my age I'm one of the loudest people -_-
Reply 5
Original post by fatima1998
not close with them at all.... sometimes i feel like i desperately needs to leave the house and just live away
uni time will be the best :moon:

yh same i just want to get away from them cause now its the summer i just feel like I'm trapped yet at uni if I'm with people my own age then I'm gonna be so much happier and more sociable yet now I'm barely talking to anyone besides my brother and work colleagues ;/
yh thats the thing like i just see her as my mum and not like as a friend or something who I'd want to go out of my way to talk to and yh i don't argue with my parents but i barely speak to them and before they would get annoyed but now they just think I'm shy yet when I'm around people who are my age I'm one of the loudest people -_-

I'm much the same, though I am shy with everyone. I wouldn't worry, some people just have different relationships with their parents. It doesn't mean that you love each other any the less.
Reply 7
Original post by loveleest
I can relate to this.
I am not close with my Dad at all, since we haven't spoken in 10 years. Me and my Mum really aren't close either. I actually wasn't exactly bought up with my Mum for the first few years anyway but even after that we just didn't develop that "Mother and daughter" relationship.
We don't really get along very much and we have completely different ideologies. Most of the time when my Mum says something I usually just walk away because I know a heated argument would arise if I said something.

Does it hurt me that I am not close with them? Of course, but it's just not much of a big issue for me anymore, then it was 3 years ago. Some people just weren't supposed to be close with their parents and I am one of them. I accept it and move on.

I am like you, moving to uni In about 2 months time and I am overwhelmed about the idea of being away from my family (particularly my Mum) It would be nice to have more freedom and find myself and to not have someone at my neck constantly.

ahhh nice to know I'm not the only one and yh i can relate cause my mum for instance doesn't have hardly any qualifications and has been out of work for years and i consider myself a very motivated hard worker so in that respect i feel i can't really look up to her in the same way others may ask their parents for advice so that doesn't help our relationship and then with my dad we never have a proper conversation other than maybe discussing a tv show thats on like nothing of much substance andyh uni should be good cause it will be nice to have people to talk to about my day as i never do that currently....
I feel really close to my parents!
While my mum and dad are separated I still feel I have a really strong bond with both. I feel like I can tell them pretty much anything and we talk a lot and go out together and they have helped me through a lot.
Reply 9
Original post by Lkathryn08
I feel really close to my parents!
While my mum and dad are separated I still feel I have a really strong bond with both. I feel like I can tell them pretty much anything and we talk a lot and go out together and they have helped me through a lot.

Nice to hear ; I barely speak to my parents

You shouldn't ignore them man! that's just messed up. Did your mother ignore caring for you when you were a baby/child? I assume not.
don't know about your personal issues with your parents, but do everything you can to try to make your relationship with them better man.Our parents have raised us, and it is only best to give them the love and respect they deserve.

Whilst you expect your parents to have conversations about grades and personal issues (important for parents to do so). Have you wondered that your parents might just be busy with their workload/stressed. More important than that though is that you show them that you care and love them. How are you going to build a meaningful and productive relationship with your parents if you ignore them? You can't man.
Do your bit to get closer with your parents. At the end- your actions will show them that you've changed. Perhaps you can give them a kiss before you leave for work/school everyday/ speak to them in a kind-soft manner/ tell them directly you love them/ hug them randomly- e.g when your mum is making food haha
Accept that parents have every right to advise you/ shout at you/ tell you off- most of our parents want to makes us into good people.

I really hope you improve your relationship with your parents man- we only get one shot of this life, and if there's anything worth striving for- it's knowing we were best to our families more than anything
Mum - very close :smile:
Dad - not so close :s-smilie:
You shouldn't ignore them man! that's just messed up. Did your mother ignore caring for you when you were a baby/child? I assume not.
don't know about your personal issues with your parents, but do everything you can to try to make your relationship with them better man.Our parents have raised us, and it is only best to give them the love and respect they deserve.

Whilst you expect your parents to have conversations about grades and personal issues (important for parents to do so). Have you wondered that your parents might just be busy with their workload/stressed. More important than that though is that you show them that you care and love them. How are you going to build a meaningful and productive relationship with your parents if you ignore them? You can't man.
Do your bit to get closer with your parents. At the end- your actions will show them that you've changed. Perhaps you can give them a kiss before you leave for work/school everyday/ speak to them in a kind-soft manner/ tell them directly you love them/ hug them randomly- e.g when your mum is making food haha
Accept that parents have every right to advise you/ shout at you/ tell you off- most of our parents want to makes us into good people.

I really hope you improve your relationship with your parents man- we only get one shot of this life, and if there's anything worth striving for- it's knowing we were best to our families more than anything

Your parents chose to bring you into this world. As a consequence it is their duty to care for you and make sure you're safe.

You owe them nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dad - Close in a way that he's my dad, but he isn't my friend. I don't tell him much about my life because he would worry too much.

Mum - Not at all. She didn't bring me up and I haven't spoken to her in two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really annoys me when people say things like this. Not everyone has good parents...Not every parent deserves to be a parent...
Pretty close with my mum - she's always been there for me. We have more of a friend relationship now than mother and daughter. We talk on whatsapp most days and I probably ring her once every couple of weeks.*

Not particularly close with my dad, we had a very rocky relationship when I was in my teens and never really developed much of a bond. I'll still talk to him when I'm home but I wouldn't ring him for a chat
Dad - Never had anything to do with all my life. He was given the chance but didn't want anything to do with me. His loss :tongue:

Mum - We weren't close when I was growing up. She was quite mentally ill and neglected me and I was raised mainly by my grandparents instead and saw my mum more like a sister. When I moved out at 18, I didn't talk to her for 2 years but we eventually started talking and she was more stable and got help for her problems and regretted how things went while I was growing up and that she often put men before me. We made up about 5 years ago and haven't argued once in that time. I finally see her as a mum now. I can't forget what she was like in the past but I do accept she had problems and I have mental health conditions of my own so I kind of know some stuff she went through but she should have still taken more responsibility back then like she does now. Nowadays, she can't do enough for me and I see her nearly every day and we text all day long and generally have a laugh and I feel I can confide in her now with things like my health, relationships, education and just every day stuff which I couldn't before.
Reply 17
I grew up with my grandparents so fair to say, I'm not close to parents at all.
Grew up with my grandparents, so much closer to them than my mum and recent adoptive dad.
Mum - Kinda close too, she's a huge gossip and has half of her emotions numbed due to bipolar, so not really someone I can open up too and discuss anything private with.

Dad - Haven't spoken to for 2-3 years.

Step Dad - Get on alright, but he's really awkward and very emotionally unavailable.

So growing up was very repressed, and I've found have affected my relationships as I'm so used to just keeping things to myself or dealing with things myself. Luckily my current girlfriend is very supportive of this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending