Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I have received postgrad offers from Swansea for computer Science and Cardiff for Computing they are both for students with a non IT background.

Swansea seems to have the better course but I liked the campus and city of Cardiff a lot more. With Swansea the course is cheaper but a lot further away with less to do day to day whereas cardiff is an hour from swansea and Bristol.

Does anyone know the difference between computer science and computing other than a bit more math based or are they similarly interchangeable?

I am really stuck as to where to go.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you look into the course curriculums of both and find out and ask if you have any confusion about the courses. I could find them for you alternatively.

ReputationRep:
    Swansea has more optional modules and more diversity, I think I want to do the swansea course but in cardiff :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishlock)
    Swansea has more optional modules and more diversity, I think I want to do the swansea course but in cardiff :P
    Don't think too much about diversity and things like that. Focus on getting a good degree. You will find great people anywhere you go.

ReputationRep:
    The names are mostly interchangeable because it depends on the uni on what modules they choose to concentrate on. On their websites you should find the exact modules you will do so try reading that to see which you prefer.

In the end it's up to you to choose if you'll go for the course or the location. They both tend to be around the same place in league tables so it doesn't make that huge of a difference.

I'm going to Cardiff for my undergraduate for computer science so I may be a bit biased to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrahim)
    Don't think too much about diversity and things like that. Focus on getting a good degree. You will find great people anywhere you go.
    oops I meant diversity in the modules available. a lot more optional modules to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishlock)
    oops I meant diversity in the modules available. a lot more optional modules to choose from.
    Find out if these optional modules are interesting to you. What coursework you get given and so on. And then choose.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.