Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have a quick question. I've been offered a job as a grad. manager with the NHS (not on their grad scheme), where I will be working half the time with a working body and half the time at a surgery with the practice manager.They have offered me 20k a year. I've had some experience in the past but internship based (so max 4 months). Do you think I should take it?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on where you live but 20k is a good salary to start with when you don't have a lot of experience.

If it's the kind of job you want and think you will like it then go for it. Most graduates don't get much more than that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Totally depends on your situation tbh :

- is it a job you will really enjoy?
    - what are the possibilities for promotion? May be a lowish starting salary but could lead to rapid promotion to a really highly paid job etc.
    - do you have any other job offers/ potential opportunities? If not and you're running low on options, at least it's some money and a decent job on your CV while you search for something better...
    - it is related to the career/ type of role you want to be in in the future? Sounds like they're offering the chance to experience different business areas which could be a great training opportunity if it's relevant to what you want to do
    - are you in need of getting a job ASAP (eg low on cash, high rent, want to move out from the parents) or could you be better off searching around for other opportunities in the next few months
    Etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Totally depends on your situation tbh :

- is it a job you will really enjoy?
    - what are the possibilities for promotion? May be a lowish starting salary but could lead to rapid promotion to a really highly paid job etc.
    - do you have any other job offers/ potential opportunities? If not and you're running low on options, at least it's some money and a decent job on your CV while you search for something better...
    - it is related to the career/ type of role you want to be in in the future? Sounds like they're offering the chance to experience different business areas which could be a great training opportunity if it's relevant to what you want to do
    - are you in need of getting a job ASAP (eg low on cash, high rent, want to move out from the parents) or could you be better off searching around for other opportunities in the next few months
    Etc.
    Tbh your questions are good. I think I would enjoy it as I'm on a management program which I do like. The only other potential offer I could have is for auditing at PWC which I really don't want to do (despite it being in the big 4 because of the nature of the job (which is why I ran away from my accounting degree and did a conversion course)). I do need a job and it seems good. I think my answer probably answers the question itself.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SaraHKhan92)
    Tbh your questions are good. I think I would enjoy it as I'm on a management program which I do like. The only other potential offer I could have is for auditing at PWC which I really don't want to do (despite it being in the big 4 because of the nature of the job (which is why I ran away from my accounting degree and did a conversion course)). I do need a job and it seems good. I think my answer probably answers the question itself.
    Sounds like you've got your decision there Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.