Turn on thread page Beta

Do you consider crushes as emotional cheating? watch

You start talking to someone as simple friends and it turns out that you get along pretty well. Next thing you know, you start develop a little crush on them.

Is it okay as long as there are no flirty or sexual messages?

ReputationRep:
    Haha you can't control who you have a crush on of course it's ok. Just don't act on it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your emotions arent necessarily in your control though, so no I wouldnt consider it cheating.
    If anything tangible did happen, like flirty or sexual messages, then in my book you cross the line.

ReputationRep:
    Emotional cheating hahaha

This is one of the things with my boyfriend and I because we'll be long distance soon. Crushes are fine, you can't help meeting an attractive person and getting along well but absolutely NO acting on it or flirting in any way. Basically, it's fine to have a crush as long as you love your partner more, don't act on it and don't try to be around them as much as possible (more than you would other friends) and no flirting in any way happens.
    In short, as long as you aren't flirting, acting on it or attempting to be with them more than the rest of your friends you don't have crushes on it's TOTALLY FINE.

(Original post by Mrs House)
    Haha you can't control who you have a crush on of course it's ok. Just don't act on it
    There's no way we'll ever be in a relationship since they live in another part of the UK.

We spend a lot of time playing a game together and chatting. That's it really.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    This is one of the things with my boyfriend and I because we'll be long distance soon. Crushes are fine, you can't help meeting an attractive person and getting along well but absolutely NO acting on it or flirting in any way. Basically, it's fine to have a crush as long as you love your partner more, don't act on it and don't try to be around them as much as possible (more than you would other friends) and no flirting in any way happens.
    In short, as long as you aren't flirting, acting on it or attempting to be with them more than the rest of your friends you don't have crushes on it's TOTALLY FINE.
    Sometimes we make jokes before going offline like...

"We have little time together. We have to make the most if it. :>"

But most of our friends in the group make jokes like that with each other. Stuff like marrying the other person even though they aren't gay etc.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Sometimes we make jokes before going offline like...

"We have little time together. We have to make the most if it. :>"

But most of our friends in the group make jokes like that with each other. Stuff like marrying the other person even though they aren't gay etc.
    It depends how it was inferred and meant that would determine if I was bothered by that. It might because it suggests you want to spend as much time with them as possible and perhaps like you value their time over your partner's time, but then it might not if the whole group says that stuff and you aren't actually spending more time with her or avoiding me for her. All totally different for different couples though.
    Ultimately though, it's up to you and your partner whether it's acceptable or not. Have a discussion, maybe, and establish the boundaries both of you are comfortable with.
    To me, it'd be more acceptable as long as the above things aren't happening because he tells me if he finds someone else attractive or likes them a bit, but assures me that he wouldn't do anything because he doesn't want to ruin a great thing for some random girl.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.