Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I ve been accepted to Plymouth uni, and even though it was my second option it seems to turn into my first option, anyway I m curious on opinions about Plymouth, there s not much I can find on the Internet and the only discussion I found was saying that it is a rough and boring place, which I really hope it isn't , any opinions?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    hi, I have lived in Plymouth on and off since 1989. \I am just about to start at Plymouth Uni to read law this September. Plymouth is a massively different city now than 6 years ago. The major employment was around the armed forces and the dockyard, and at that time it was rough. It was a hard, drink related town with lots of problems. The biggest employer is now the Uni, and has a huge student population. The medical school is one of the best in the country, and was a pioneer with patient led training. Plymouth itself is a city destroyed during the war, and was completely rebuilt in the 50s. Hence its architecture and image is very linear and concrete (lots). However, it is a beautiful city and the surrounding area is littered with some of the most beautiful beaches in the country with great facilities and surfing. The nightlife in Plymouth now is almost entirely geared around the students. Union Street which was once club land is now a decaying area. The nightlife is now in the town an area called North Hill/Mutley Plain. All within walking distance of Halls. Crime is no better/worse than anywhere else really. It is a safe place to walk around at night, but just be careful. It has a drug problem (where doesn't) but the rough areas are pretty much tucked away in areas you are never likely to go to (Devonport/North Prospect).
    As a result of the university expansion Plymouth is geared towards being a student city. It is a great place to live. The major shopping area is literally 5 minutes walk from the Uni, (drakes circus). everything you would want is there. There are more food places than you can imagine. The Barbican (10 minute walk) is littered with history, where Pilgrim Fathers set sail for America fro example.
    The weather here is well wet and windy!!!!! but generally it is warm. We are the first bits of rock the weather hits from the Atlantic.
    Transport links are ok, it is a bit in the arse end of the UK, so 40 minutes drive to the M5 to go north to Bristol and the M4 interchange (2 1/2 hours) train links are good, on the Penzance to Paddington mainline, and well served by National Express and Megabus.
    Yes it can be a bit rough, but to be honest you will need to go and look for those areas. Boring - certainly not apart from when its pissing down on a sunday afternoon.
    It really is a vibrant city with a real positive feel.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Alster Nate)
    Hello,
    I ve been accepted to Plymouth uni, and even though it was my second option it seems to turn into my first option, anyway I m curious on opinions about Plymouth, there s not much I can find on the Internet and the only discussion I found was saying that it is a rough and boring place, which I really hope it isn't , any opinions?
    Thank you
    Hi Alster Nate,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. It may be useful for you to check out some of our blog posts, written by students studying a wide range of subjects, who are also at different stages of their study. Many of them have come to Plymouth from elsewhere in the UK and give a great insight into how they have adapted to the city and the surrounding areas, and also how they have found it studying here for a few years.

The campus is located right in the heart of the city and is only a stone's throw away from the Hoe, where many people go to relax and enjoy a barbecue in summer, and the very picturesque Barbican, which offers a host of quaint pubs and eateries suitable for all tastes.

Even though Plymouth is a little bit out of the way, it is still very easy to travel to and from. Once you are in the city it is really easy to get to nearby beaches that are dotted right along the coastlines of Devon and Cornwall as well.

Another great thing about Plymouth is that you can enjoy a vibrant city life on campus in the heart of the city, and you are never too far away from a quiet nearby escape whether that is Dartmoor National Park, or a visit to Mount Edgcumbe on the Cremyll ferry.

I hope this helps you out in some way - if you have any other specific questions or queries, I'll be happy to answer them

Dale,

@PlymUniApply
    #PlymUni2016

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.