The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7500
SubhanAllah verse of the day:

أَفَمَنْ أَسَّسَ بُنْيَانَهُ عَلَىٰ تَقْوَىٰ مِنَ اللَّهِ وَرِضْوَانٍ خَيْرٌ أَم مَّنْ أَسَّسَ بُنْيَانَهُ عَلَىٰ شَفَا جُرُفٍ هَارٍ فَانْهَارَ بِهِ فِي نَارِ جَهَنَّمَ ۗ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الظَّالِمِينَ [At-Tawba : 109]
(9:109)

Why, is he better who founded his building upon Allah's fear and for His approval or he who founded his building on the brink of an under-mined bank *103 that tumbled with him down into the fire of Hell? Allah never shows the Right Way to such workers of iniquity *104 .

*103) In order to comprehend fully the implications of this simile, let us first consider the significance of the Arabic word ~~ (Juruf). This applies to the brink of that piece of land which has been undermined by a river or a stream, leaving its surface without any support. In this meaningful simile the construction of the structure of life on the Godless foundations has been compared to that building which is built on the river brink, which has been undermined by its water. It is obvious that the ignorant man who builds a structure on the surface of such a piece of land, merely because it is a piece of land, will not only lose the building but will also lose his own life, for it will inevitably fall down into the river along with him because it has nothing to support it. Likewise, the one who lays the foundation of the structure of the system of his life on the surface of worldly things, without any regard to God's fear or His favour which are the only permanent supports of human life, is like the man who builds his structure on the surface undermined by the river. For such a man himself undermines the structure of his life by his wrong deeds which inevitably follow if there is no bed-rock of God's fear and His favour. Therefore the surface on which he had built his life would one day inevitably tumble down into the abyss of Hell along with the earnings of his whole life.
*104) "The Right Way" that leads to man's real success.
If you could give advice to our muslim brothers and sisters living in America, faced with the rise of islamophobia legitimised by the election of Donald Trump, what would you say to them?

There is a real sense of fear among muslims there.
Original post by Boondock Saint
If you're paying your own tuition fees, most universities allow you to set up some sort of payment plan to make instalments throughout the year, with a part-time job, as IdeasForLife suggested, it is possible to do. If you study part-time, the cost per year will be even lower and thus easier to meet.

part time is only slightly lower I think
Original post by Tawheed
If you could give advice to our muslim brothers and sisters living in America, faced with the rise of islamophobia legitimised by the election of Donald Trump, what would you say to them?

I think the situation there is just being hyped.
Know of a few people with schizophrenia, many having to leave work and really struggle. Coincidentally, i met two people in a row with this condition today. Mental health is something that needs to be focused and emphasised more in our communities. It is imperative we educate everyone to to seek medical help before assuming it is due to a supernatural cause.

[video="youtube;Jjmn7qAjco8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjmn7qAjco8[/video]
Original post by Tawheed

Start practicing Islam properly, stop selling your principles and start trusting in Allah. Learn to defend yourselves, if you're scared of some stupid redneck with a gun - then buy a gun yourself because the law allows you to defend yourself. As always, the women should be more vigilant.
Original post by IdeasForLife
As always, the women should be more vigilant.

Anyone who has a sister, or has been married and even with regards to their own mother, knows perhaps this is the one we worry about the most.

What would you advise sisters in paticular, with regards to being more vigilant ?

I know american brothers and sisters, so anything i see as useful i will inshAllah pass on.
Original post by user1215
part time is only slightly lower I think

A good few grand lower.
Original post by Tawheed
Anyone who has a sister, or has been married and even with regards to their own mother, knows perhaps this is the one we worry about the most.

What would you advise sisters in paticular, with regards to being more vigilant ?

I know american brothers and sisters, so anything i see as useful i will inshAllah pass on.

If they feel someone is following them, phone the police. Try not to travel alone. Try not to travel at night if they don't have to.

Learn self defense. Buy some pepper spray (if legal). Buy a gun if they've got the heart to use one.
(edited 7 years ago)
If they feel someone is following them, phone the police. Try not to travel alone. Try not to travel at night if they don't have to.

Learn self defense. Buy some pepper spray (if legal). Buy a gun if they've got the heart to use one.

JazakAllah khayr, i can agree on this / very comprehensive. Better safe than sorry.
Original post by Tawheed
Know of a few people with schizophrenia, many having to leave work and really struggle. Coincidentally, i met two people in a row with this condition today. Mental health is something that needs to be focused and emphasised more in our communities. It is imperative we educate everyone to to seek medical help before assuming it is due to a supernatural cause.

[video="youtube;Jjmn7qAjco8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjmn7qAjco8[/video]

oo we learnt abt this in psychology
Original post by Boondock Saint
If you're paying your own tuition fees, most universities allow you to set up some sort of payment plan to make instalments throughout the year, with a part-time job, as IdeasForLife suggested, it is possible to do. If you study part-time, the cost per year will be even lower and thus easier to meet.

I want to pursue a science degree at unis which don't offer part time study. I will try to get a part time job to pay off the loan inshallah. Thanks to @IdeasForLife I've found out there's difference in opinion in regards to if UK student loans are actually riba, however it's better to be safe than sorry, especially concerning something as grave as this.

JZK for your advice though :smile:
Original post by mariam687
oo we learnt abt this in psychology

Please, feel free to share anything interesting you may have learned. Speaking to people who have this condition, it is sometimes extremely upsetting at what it has done to their lives. Many are extremely charming, but will have episodes. And it can happen to anyone, some people , or the ones i spoke to, graduated from university, did very well, got a great job, and then it began, and then escalated and then you find they are out of work for a long, long time.

We have some brothers and sisters on here who are more in the research side of things. I say, muslims should reignite the way we were in the golden age. Let us seek cures and develop treatments, and help society the world over in scientific and medical research. May Allah greatly help the brothers and sisters here involved in things like that. I know brother ash has a degree in biomedical science, and one or two other sisters here are almost there or have done it [ and i am doubly impressed when i hear sisters pursuing higher education].
Original post by Kyou
I want to pursue a science degree at unis which don't offer part time study. I will try to get a part time job to pay off the loan inshallah. Thanks to @IdeasForLife I've found out there's difference in opinion in regards to if UK student loans are actually riba, however it's better to be safe than sorry, especially concerning something as grave as this.

Yeah i think it's quite hard because on top of student loans you have to pay for living expenses which are like another 8k or more incl rent (moving out obvs). Also i think many scholars (and most importantly dawah man :ahee: )say student loans are haram so it's a tricky one but i saw a post a while ago about an organisation called edaid that are supposedly doing halal loans and also try the local islamic bank called Al-rayan bank i think they might do student loans halal too. Also if you could take a year to work and get a few bits of change that could help.

Spoiler

btw im not sure if i understand this properly but is this where girls go and comfort other people who have had bad experiences?? if so is there one like this but for boys too??
Original post by Leukocyte

this is nice! i like their name too lol
Original post by BellyButton Face
btw im not sure if i understand this properly but is this where girls go and comfort other people who have had bad experiences?? if so is there one like this but for boys too??

http://www.hhugs.org.uk/about-us
Original post by Kyou

Yw bro.
@Incredible97 assalamu alaykum if u know any stories caan u tell me please
Original post by Kyou

May Allah facilitate your situation. Ameen. Just so you know, if you choose to do something for Allah's sake, He will undeniably help you. A friend of mine (who turns out to be an old ISOC member) was troubled about this for years, same situation as you. After making dua, working on and off and facing much confusion, she eventually found a way subhanAllah. So no worries, just keep making dua.

Contemplate this ayah, it's beautiful and so uplifiting to the believer:

And He will provide for him from sources He never imagined. And whoever relies upon Allah - then He is sufficient for Him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things.
[Surah at-Talaq. Verse: 3]

Latest

Trending

Trending