Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to buy a close uni friend Stan Smith shoes...too much? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so basically i left uni 3 years ago, but this guy was one of the few people that have kept in contact with me while I was trying to sort myself out ( long story ). Met up with him a couple of times as well, really nice guy. Anyway, he just graduated 2 days ago, and I really want to buy him a gift, specifically what I said above. Do you think its kinda....expensive given that I MOSTLY talked to him through whatsapp...and met up with him a couple of time over the 3 years he was at uni? The shoes I'm looking at costs 80 quid including delivery.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by scaphrax)
    Hey guys, so basically i left uni 3 years ago, but this guy was one of the few people that have kept in contact with me while I was trying to sort myself out ( long story ). Met up with him a couple of times as well, really nice guy. Anyway, he just graduated 2 days ago, and I really want to buy him a gift, specifically what I said above. Do you think its kinda....expensive given that I MOSTLY talked to him through whatsapp...and met up with him a couple of time over the 3 years he was at uni? The shoes I'm looking at costs 80 quid including delivery.
    Yes i recon that is a lot of money to spend on just a friend.

I would also be wary of him then feeling he had to reciprocate if he's not in a position to do so. Plus shoes are really something he'd need to try on himself. Tbh what I valued most from my friends when I graduated were the cards/messages people wrote rather than any presents (well I didn't get any, but you know...), even if it was just a 'good luck with the new job' type thing.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I'd buy him a nice watch instead. But may be that's cuz I'm into watches. Like really good watches. Like the really really good ones!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't recommend it: I'd never wear £80 shoes anywhere shoes actually matter. If you absolutely must, Loakes are arguably the entry-level of men's footwear as an investment, rather than something merely ephemeral or disposable; but even then, regarding keepsakes which are both decorative and functional, you'll more likely find a relatively serviceable timepiece for £80 than any remotely presentable variety of footwear that's also built to last—pun intended.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.