Turn on thread page Beta

Want to buy a close uni friend Stan Smith shoes...too much? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so basically i left uni 3 years ago, but this guy was one of the few people that have kept in contact with me while I was trying to sort myself out ( long story ). Met up with him a couple of times as well, really nice guy. Anyway, he just graduated 2 days ago, and I really want to buy him a gift, specifically what I said above. Do you think its kinda....expensive given that I MOSTLY talked to him through whatsapp...and met up with him a couple of time over the 3 years he was at uni? The shoes I'm looking at costs 80 quid including delivery.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by scaphrax)
    Hey guys, so basically i left uni 3 years ago, but this guy was one of the few people that have kept in contact with me while I was trying to sort myself out ( long story ). Met up with him a couple of times as well, really nice guy. Anyway, he just graduated 2 days ago, and I really want to buy him a gift, specifically what I said above. Do you think its kinda....expensive given that I MOSTLY talked to him through whatsapp...and met up with him a couple of time over the 3 years he was at uni? The shoes I'm looking at costs 80 quid including delivery.
    Yes i recon that is a lot of money to spend on just a friend.

I would also be wary of him then feeling he had to reciprocate if he's not in a position to do so. Plus shoes are really something he'd need to try on himself. Tbh what I valued most from my friends when I graduated were the cards/messages people wrote rather than any presents (well I didn't get any, but you know...), even if it was just a 'good luck with the new job' type thing.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I'd buy him a nice watch instead. But may be that's cuz I'm into watches. Like really good watches. Like the really really good ones!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't recommend it: I'd never wear £80 shoes anywhere shoes actually matter. If you absolutely must, Loakes are arguably the entry-level of men's footwear as an investment, rather than something merely ephemeral or disposable; but even then, regarding keepsakes which are both decorative and functional, you'll more likely find a relatively serviceable timepiece for £80 than any remotely presentable variety of footwear that's also built to last—pun intended.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.