Turn on thread page Beta

V1005 – Trade and Competition Bill 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    45.83%
    On the contrary, No
    47.92%
    Abstain
    6.25%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    V1005 – Trade and Competition Bill 2016, TSR Government
    A
    B I L L
    TO
    Increase the competitiveness of the UK by lowering Corporation Tax and scrapping Capital Gains Tax.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Capital Gains Tax
    The Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act 1992 is hereby repealed.

2 Corporation Tax
    The rate of Corporation Tax is set at 15 pence to the pound.

3 Commencement, Extent and Short Title
    (a) This Act comes into effect on 1 April 2017.
    (b) This Act may be cited as the Trade and Competition Act 2016.
    (c) This Act applies to the whole of the United Kingdom.

Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Encouraging trade and investment is a key part of encouraging growth in the economy. By scrapping Capital Gains Tax it means that there is one less barrier to trade, and by lowering Corporation Tax to 15% it means that we're able to compete to an ever greater extent with the rest of the world and that we're able to attract even more investors into the UK, creating jobs and improving livelihoods.

Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act 1992 for reference purposes

Costing
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Changes to Capital Gains Tax: £5.5bn

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...stics_2015.pdf

Changes to Corporation Tax: £10.75bn

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s_May_2016.pdf

Total cost of changes: £16.25bn
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You were given very, very reasonable advice to make tiny changes to wording that could have been done in minutes. It was arrogant to ignore that advice.

No.

ReputationRep:
    aye,. great bill
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    You were given very, very reasonable advice to make tiny changes to wording that could have been done in minutes. It was arrogant to ignore that advice.

No.
    Is this the change that you claimed was mandated by law without actually being able to tell us according to which law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A budget should have come before this so we know where you intend to make up the loss. I can not trust this government to fill the gap in a sensible way so Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is this the change that you claimed was mandated by law without actually being able to tell us according to which law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did in a post you never replied to.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nigel Farage MEP I'd have thought a jovial pedant such as yourself would have demanded the government followed proper procedure and punished them for this with a vote against?

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage MEP I'd have thought a jovial pedant such as yourself would have demanded the government followed proper procedure and punished them for this with a vote against?
    I remember the point, not including the change to Corporation Tax in a finance bill, or writing the bill to make it clear the change is for one year, creates work that should not be created, however, I do support what the bill's aim. Saracen's Fez please change my vote to an abstain in principle at the bad practice this bill encourages.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I remember the point, not including the change to Corporation Tax in a finance bill, or legislation to make it clear the change is for one year creates work that should not be created, however, I do support what the bill achieves. Saracen's Fez please change my vote to an abstain in principle at the bad practice this bill encourages.

That's a sensible choice.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I remember the point, not including the change to Corporation Tax in a finance bill, or writing the bill to make it clear the change is for one year, creates work that should not be created, however, I do support what the bill's aim. Saracen's Fez please change my vote to an abstain in principle at the bad practice this bill encourages.
    One Aye has been changed to an Abstention.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I also find now, when it is too late to amend the Bill, to be the time to mention that this doesn't actually affect the law on CGT - as the Act repealed was a mere consolidating Act, its repeal sees a return to the law before the Act - read: exactly the same. Silly Government.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    PetrosAC The Financier TitanCream toronto353 Unown Uzer Imperion joecphillips tyroncs Kyx

I implore the honourable members to reconsider. Don't reward this government for it's weakest bill. Instead hold them to the standard you expect yourself to be held at and, assessing the arguments in post 8 and 11 of this thread, come to the unavoidable conclusion that this bill must not pass. If lower taxation for business is what your goal then you'll likely see that option in the upcoming budget/finance bill and B1011 will make that a less expensive policy to pursue. Don't pursue those reasonable goals by voting now for a poorly written, poorly thought out couple of lines of legislation.

ReputationRep:
    PetrosAC The Financier TitanCream toronto353 Unown Uzer Imperion joecphillips tyroncs Kyx

I implore the honourable members to reconsider. Don't reward this government for it's weakest bill. Instead hold them to the standard you expect yourself to be held at and, assessing the arguments in post 8 and 11 of this thread, come to the unavoidable conclusion that this bill must not pass. If lower taxation for business is what your goal then you'll likely see that option in the upcoming budget/finance bill and B1011 will make that a less expensive policy to pursue. Don't pursue those reasonable goals by voting now for a poorly written, poorly thought out couple of lines of legislation.
    I'll have you know that the author of this bill is the same person you seemed fit to appoint as your Chancellor and who produced a budget under Fez.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I'll have you know that the author of this bill is the same person you seemed fit to appoint as your Chancellor and who produced a budget under Fez.
    I'm delighted by further proof that he did indeed lose his marbles.

Don't worry yourself, my imploring people to vote against the government couldn't possible be an example of opposition under JD's definition.

ReputationRep:

Don't worry yourself, my imploring people to vote against the government couldn't possible be an example of opposition under JD's definition.
    Oh, on the contrary! He's slowly recovering.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Oh, on the contrary! He's slowly recovering.
    Perhaps this bill is a way of sabotaging you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

You really have something wrong if you see raising council tax nearly 10 fold is sensible while cutting taxes for job creators is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You really have something wrong if you see raising council tax nearly 10 fold is sensible while cutting taxes for job creators is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've still chosen to ignore reasonable criticism to this bill. I may well have voted for a better version of it.

ReputationRep:
    DanE1998 EricAteYou

Any chance I could convince either of you to change your Abstain to Nay? In particular considering the points raised by Ray and TDA that this bill won't actually do what the government intended, as well as my point that the government has failed to tell us how they will plug the funding gap (which will most likely be cuts affecting the weakest in society); this should have been done in conjunction with a budget.

ReputationRep:
    also St. Brynjar anything I can do to convince you to vote nay? As with the above post.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.