Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thought I understood the transition of the AS levels to A levels, but the more I read about it the more confused I've become. If I am starting my A levels this september, and I've been told that I'm only examined on the second year (so no AS?) does this mean that the AS level content is examined in the second year, along with A2/A level exams, all together? Or do I not do the AS part? Or what? Please help this confused person...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I thought I understood the transition of the AS levels to A levels, but the more I read about it the more confused I've become. If I am starting my A levels this september, and I've been told that I'm only examined on the second year (so no AS?) does this mean that the AS level content is examined in the second year, along with A2/A level exams, all together? Or do I not do the AS part? Or what? Please help this confused person...
    Basically, as I'm sure you know, the government are in the process of changing A Levels from being linear to modular. In the modular system, you sit AS at the end of year 12 and A2 at the end of year 13. AS + A2 = A Level.

However, changes to the linear course are underway. Like at GCSE, you will do two years of study followed by one set of exams for everything on the two years. Some schools will be doing this straight away for the subjects that it affects, for example English and History.

Nevertheless, AS Levels in these subjects are still on offer, but schools are not obliged to make students sit them. If you sit the AS Level, you will then have to do the content from those exams again at the end of year thirteen (for example, if you do 'Othello' at AS, you will do another exam on it at the end of year thirteen, just with a harder question style).

AS subjects in these new subjects might be called "useless", but my school think that universities will be more willing to give you an offer if they can see how you performed in exams in year twelve, particularly as universities like Cambridge were not enthusiastic to see AS scrapped.

Some subjects, such as Maths (for International A Levels) and MFL (which will become linear for September 2016), however, are still modular. This means that, for those who started A Levels in September 2015, it will still be AS + A2 = A Level. For these you still have to sit the AS Level.

What A Levels are you doing, by the way? I hope that clears things up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Here is a link that might be useful, showing which subjects are linear:

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...-means-for-you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ett11)
    Basically, as I'm sure you know, the government are in the process of changing A Levels from being linear to modular. In the modular system, you sit AS at the end of year 12 and A2 at the end of year 13. AS + A2 = A Level.

However, changes to the linear course are underway. Like at GCSE, you will do two years of study followed by one set of exams for everything on the two years. Some schools will be doing this straight away for the subjects that it affects, for example English and History.

Nevertheless, AS Levels in these subjects are still on offer, but schools are not obliged to make students sit them. If you sit the AS Level, you will then have to do the content from those exams again at the end of year thirteen (for example, if you do 'Othello' at AS, you will do another exam on it at the end of year thirteen, just with a harder question style).

AS subjects in these new subjects might be called "useless", but my school think that universities will be more willing to give you an offer if they can see how you performed in exams in year twelve, particularly as universities like Cambridge were not enthusiastic to see AS scrapped.

Some subjects, such as Maths and MFL, however, are still modular. This means that, for those who started A Levels in September 2015, it will still be AS + A2 = A Level. For these you still have to sit the AS Level.

What A Levels are you doing, by the way? I hope that clears things up a bit.
    Thank you very much, yes this helped! I'm doing Chemistry, Biology and Psychology a level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ett11)
    Here is a link that might be useful, showing which subjects are linear:

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...-means-for-you
    This also helped, seems like all my courses are being made linear then. I guess this could be a good thing, as If I do an AS exam at the end of year 12, I could see how I'm doing without it affecting my overall grade, but I'm not sure if it's really a good thing overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    This also helped, seems like all my courses are being made linear then. I guess this could be a good thing, as If I do an AS exam at the end of year 12, I could see how I'm doing without it affecting my overall grade, but I'm not sure if it's really a good thing overall
    Glad I helped. It looks that way (as long as you don't do international A Levels). I find it a bit mixed - on one hand, I just seriously mucked up one or two of my AS exams and am glad I get a second chance next year. On the other, universities will actually have to see my half-way muddle. However, reasonable grades at AS should, according to my school, be very encouraging to universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ett11)
    Glad I helped. It looks that way (as long as you don't do international A Levels). I find it a bit mixed - on one hand, I just seriously mucked up one or two of my AS exams and am glad I get a second chance next year. On the other, universities will actually have to see my half-way muddle. However, reasonable grades at AS should, according to my school, be very encouraging to universities.
    I do the UK A levels. That's a point, considering I need A*AA for a levels it probably won't be that good if the universities see my grades half way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I do the UK A levels. That's a point, considering I need A*AA for a levels it probably won't be that good if the universities see my grades half way
    If you get ABB or something at AS, A*AA predictions are possible. We were told that our predicted grades are usually our AS grades, our AS grades + 1 or a mixture of both.

Anyway, best of luck in year 12! With hard work and organisation, I am sure you can get what you need at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ett11)
    If you get ABB or something at AS, A*AA predictions are possible. We were told that our predicted grades are usually our AS grades, our AS grades + 1 or a mixture of both.

Anyway, best of luck in year 12! With hard work and organisation, I am sure you can get what you need at AS.
    Okay, thanks for telling me that! Thank you very much, you've cleared a lot of things up for me now, it's less of a worry I hope so

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.