Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice needed for medicine application watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    Definitely avoid GCSE heavy uni's like Oxford, Birmingham and Cardiff and maybe Cambridge based on AS results.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by stzdznt)
    So I want to apply for medicine although my GCSEs are comparatively weaker than the average med applicant I got 3A*(English lit, French,food technology) 5As (English Lang, maths, history, geography, additional science) 1B (core science :/ ) done my GCSEs at a low performing school number of students achieving 5 A*-C is 50%AS predictions AABB (+EPQ)Done the ukcat and I got 740 Where should I apply?Any advice appreciated!
    Avoid GCSE heavy universities such as Cardiff, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Oxford and QUB.

From your stats above I would say avoid places such as KCL, Nottingham, Leicester, HYMS, cambridge.

Your UKCAT is strong so 100% consider Durham/Newcastle, Glasgow, Plymouth, southampton, BSMS (requires the BMAT) and Sheffield (a risk with sheffield is its assessed based on PS meaning it is never clear cut as to whether you will get an interview or not). If your willing to do the BMAT imperial may be a good option to look at providing you score well at AS/A2.

In all honesty your issue will be your B in GCSE core science, I found because you have slightly below average GCSE grades for medicine it rules out a lot of universities because you will simply not make the cut off for interview and hence it would be a wasted application. As core science is included within most scoring systems as a core element it means that it will always let you down.

Another issue is most medical schools which dont have high GCSE grade requirements often say in the small print they require AA in dual award science. the above in bold did not say this, and with your UKCAT score they may be a good fit. Medical schools such as UEA, Manchester had these in their small print, also applying to liverpool and lancaster with a B in core science would let you down.

I would personally contact each admissions department separately about your situation and do not just take my word for it as admissions policies change all the time, but they look promising and give you a little choice even if it is slightly limited.

this may sound harsh but I am being as honest as possible! you have a good shot at some medical schools!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Avoid GCSE heavy universities such as Cardiff, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Oxford and QUB.

From your stats above I would say avoid places such as KCL, Nottingham, Leicester, HYMS, cambridge.

Your UKCAT is strong so 100% consider Durham/Newcastle, Glasgow, Plymouth, southampton, BSMS (requires the BMAT) and Sheffield (a risk with sheffield is its assessed based on PS meaning it is never clear cut as to whether you will get an interview or not). If your willing to do the BMAT imperial may be a good option to look at providing you score well at AS/A2.

In all honesty your issue will be your B in GCSE core science, I found because you have slightly below average GCSE grades for medicine it rules out a lot of universities because you will simply not make the cut off for interview and hence it would be a wasted application. As core science is included within most scoring systems as a core element it means that it will always let you down.

Another issue is most medical schools which dont have high GCSE grade requirements often say in the small print they require AA in dual award science. the above in bold did not say this, and with your UKCAT score they may be a good fit. Medical schools such as UEA, Manchester had these in their small print, also applying to liverpool and lancaster with a B in core science would let you down.

I would personally contact each admissions department separately about your situation and do not just take my word for it as admissions policies change all the time, but they look promising and give you a little choice even if it is slightly limited.

this may sound harsh but I am being as honest as possible! you have a good shot at some medical schools!
    Thank you for the advice, should I apply to courses with foundation years eg at UEA and EMDP at Kings????
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by stzdznt)
    Thank you for the advice, should I apply to courses with foundation years eg at UEA and EMDP at Kings????
    I have no idea what the difference is with these foundation years, if you qualify then possibly but as you do qualify for some other medical school 5 year programmes its worth applying to them. Remember it doesnt matter where you get the degree from, its about getting it, medicine is that competative so many worthy applicants who have grades higher than yours fail to gain a place each year, so in my opinion its not worth making risky applications.

I dont know to much about these programmes so hang with me on this information.
    the EMDP from Kings is open to candidates from non-selective state schools in greater London, so if your from outside greater london im pretty sure its not open to you.

UEA seems legible if your family income is below £35000.

My only issue with these programmes for you is you do have grades which mean you have a chance at getting onto a five year programme if you apply to your strengths (which is by far your UKCAT score so personally for you newcastle, glasgow and southampton are very strong applications where you are likely to get an interview providing you check you also meet other minimum requirements), these foundation programmes can often be more competative than the 5 year ones as there are fewer spaces, and as you have seen they are aimed at giving locals to the medical school better access to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    How did you get 740

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.