Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you intervene in this situation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So you're walking and you notice a disturbance in which you feel instinctively have to engage in, but you run the risk of being attacked.
    If I personally see a person being attacked, I will not get involved.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is way to broad for a simple yes or no.

For me it would depend on the situation and what I thought I could do, if anything. In general the best solution is to call for help and not get involved. But it's not so black and white. If there was a group of people mugging someone then I'd stay out of it. Odds are I won't stand up well to group. But one on one I might have a chance (keeping in mind there's no way to know what the other person is capable of). And of course this doesn't factor in weapons, etc.

So to reiterate, it really depends on the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    So you're walking and you notice a disturbance in which you feel instinctively have to engage in, but you run the risk of being attacked.
    If I personally see a person being attacked, I will not get involved.
    I might ring the police anon but that's about it

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the situation. I'd feel guilty if I didn't do anything to help and that person dies.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if the people fighting are chavs tbh, if they are I'll leave them to it because they're probs way more used to fighting than me. If it's normal people like me fighting, I might intervene and ask them why they're in such a state.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Too broad and not enough detail.
    Some situations I would, others I would call; the police and others I would avoid.
    Good to know you wouldnt get involved, not a surprise though.

ReputationRep:
    Easy Question Difficult answer
    I would personally call the police and not get involved. (Although there are so many factors that would affect my response in any given situation)

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else has said, it depends. I would examine the dangers that I could place myself in. If I cannot get involved I will act as a witness to the emergency services. That means remembering anything important. The number of suspects, any weapons, clothing that they are wearing, any vehicles, any vehicle plates, anybody injured, if they are females males or both, direction in which they may leave the scene.

All this information will be given to the first responder when I contact 999. This will help the emergency services massive. After I believe that I am no longer in massive danger I will enter the scene and given any assistance. Being first aid trained then I will do my best as a first responder, if the incident calls for it.

The reason why I would respond is such a way is because if I am attacked myself then that amazing helpful information which I could have given the emergency services would not be there. Who knows, myself and anybody injured could be on the ground for hours until someone sees us.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably get in the mix, find some other passersby. When one person gets involved, others follow. no one wants to be the first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.