Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to find work experience for psychology before I go into my second year, wheres the best place to apply for experience? also does anyone know off any companies that pay while you work? - I would prefer work experience in the counselling/clinical sector, so if anyone can help me out it would be appreciated thanks !

ReputationRep:
    I think few places (proper clinical places) will take undergrads, particularly paid and not on a formal placement... it might be possible to do some shadowing etc with a clinical psychologist but it would not be paid. If you want something relevant and paid I would start with befriending/support work/mentoring roles as you should be able to find something paid in that sector and to be honest that is where most clinical psychologists start off working.

ReputationRep:
    You are not going to gain a counselling or clinical position as they are highly sought after graduate positions. You can gain some valuable relevant experience via mental health support work and advocacy employment. Both positions can be gained via part time of bank staff arrangement and the pay is decent enough to make it worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    VOLUNTEER. Try to find volunteering roles with children with autism or learning difficulties. Or you can volunteer in a care home, as you'll very likely encounter patients with Alzheimer's which you can talk about in your personal statement. I'm sure there are other charities relating to mental health you can get in touch with to see if they have any opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    I too looked for ways to get work experience in Psychology but it seems very difficult to get and almost impossible to get pad work as an undergraduate. I have found some volunteering as a mentor for the new first years which i hope will help my cv a little bit. Just anything that has you interacting with other people in a caring or helping way will hopefully look good on your cv. I don't which university you are in but maybe you could talk to the lecturers or your careers department. I am at Staffordshire university and they put on a careers week and have a careers department who can help you get jobs both when you are at university and when you graduate. I hope you find something.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.