The Student Room Group

How can I get really good at guitar?/ I want to be in a band

I am 16 and I listen to a lot of music. Music is my life right now really. I listen to mostly rock and metal (Metallica, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, ACDC etc). Listening to all this great music has made me dream of joining a band. Before I go to bed I just lay in bed thinking about how cool it would be to be in a successful band.

I brought an electric guitar a few weeks ago and I have been playing it a few hours everyday since. I have made a few of my own riffs, written a few lyrics (I've written about 10 different songs so far) and I have a burning desire to get REALLY good at the electric guitar and form a band (probably an all girl punk rock band or maybe girl and boys) and either be the lead singer (singing in a punk rock voice like Joan Jett, The Interrupters, Garbage or Republica etc).

I enjoy playing the guitar but I just want to be good at playing it so much! How am I meant to get really good at playing the guitar? What should I do to learn? Also, many of the epic guitarists started playing when they were about 11-14 and I am 16 so now I am thinking that I've left this all too late. I just wish my parents had given me a guitar when I was 5 or something so I would be a legend on the guitar now.

I want to bring back rock and roll. I want to bring back the whole punk girl rock scene or the whole rock scene in general. I want to make music great again. How can I get good at the guitar and be in a band?
Reply 1
Someone please reply :smile:
Pracrtice, practice and practice. Also for music always be yourself it may help a lot
Reply 3
go to a tutor, or better sit at home and learn from justinguitar.com
Reply 4
Original post by mrahim
go to a tutor, or better sit at home and learn from justinguitar.com

Ok thanks
Reply 5
Original post by SuperHuman98
Pracrtice, practice and practice. Also for music always be yourself it may help a lot

Ok thanks and yeah I have my own style and everything...
Original post by Grumpyteen
Ok thanks and yeah I have my own style and everything...

Btw I watched a ted talk today search it on youtube "tedtalk how to get good at something in 20hours"
Reply 7
Original post by SuperHuman98
Btw I watched a ted talk today search it on youtube "tedtalk how to get good at something in 20hours"

Oh cool! I will check it out thanks
Reply 8
Just practice, loads. Simple, hardly original advice that you probably don't feel helps at all, but that's pretty much all there is to it. Tuition will help guide you if you can afford it, and if not there are millions of good youtube videos. Jimi Hendrix started at age 15 so 16 isn't too bad lol. I sometimes wish I had started guitar really early as I think I could have been excellent. (I seem to have particularly good coordination/agility with my hands/fingers, for instance I am an extremely fast typist. But oh well, maybe in a parallel universe)

I started at 13 and progressed very rapidly in the first year or so simply by hardcore practising, playing all the time, writing my own stuff, spending loads of time improvising, learning random tabs of songs I liked, and learning from a not particularly great but still helpful guitar teacher. Started in a band after maybe half a year of playing and that was always a good source of inspiration and a great outlet (and you will always definitely sound much better at ear-busting volumes..). Did my grade 6 after a year and a half, fluffed it a bit but got merit, then went on to working on grade 7 and 8, and was certainly grade 8 standard + at a point but since then my progress was extremely slow. The band kept going for a while but eventually I was no longer playing for anything but it, and not improving at all. That ended last year with everyone going off to uni, as did any serious playing, and I am 19 now with six years under my belt but tbh my technique has slipped loads (and it was never excellent).

So I guess I can give mistake-based advice: if you wanna stay good, you can't stop practising. And you have to be very, very religious about practicing your technique (this is one area where a really good teacher will be a godsend) if you want to get to the shredding levels. I've always had and still have good "feel", but there are countless people with great feel who can also blow your mind with ridiculous technical prowess. It is not easy to rise above the crowd with such a popular instrument. I think your practise needs to be well scheduled, rigorous, and, above all, honest. You have to realise what is holding you back technically; you have to always focus on improving and not basking in what you have.
Reply 9
Yeah...
Reply 10
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Just practice, loads. Simple, hardly original advice that you probably don't feel helps at all, but that's pretty much all there is to it. Tuition will help guide you if you can afford it, and if not there are millions of good youtube videos. Jimi Hendrix started at age 15 so 16 isn't too bad lol. I sometimes wish I had started guitar really early as I think I could have been excellent. (I seem to have particularly good coordination/agility with my hands/fingers, for instance I am an extremely fast typist. But oh well, maybe in a parallel universe)

I started at 13 and progressed very rapidly in the first year or so simply by hardcore practising, playing all the time, writing my own stuff, spending loads of time improvising, learning random tabs of songs I liked, and learning from a not particularly great but still helpful guitar teacher. Started in a band after maybe half a year of playing and that was always a good source of inspiration and a great outlet (and you will always definitely sound much better at ear-busting volumes..). Did my grade 6 after a year and a half, fluffed it a bit but got merit, then went on to working on grade 7 and 8, and was certainly grade 8 standard + at a point but since then my progress was extremely slow. The band kept going for a while but eventually I was no longer playing for anything but it, and not improving at all. That ended last year with everyone going off to uni, as did any serious playing, and I am 19 now with six years under my belt but tbh my technique has slipped loads (and it was never excellent).

So I guess I can give mistake-based advice: if you wanna stay good, you can't stop practising. And you have to be very, very religious about practicing your technique (this is one area where a really good teacher will be a godsend) if you want to get to the shredding levels. I've always had and still have good "feel", but there are countless people with great feel who can also blow your mind with ridiculous technical prowess. It is not easy to rise above the crowd with such a popular instrument. I think your practise needs to be well scheduled, rigorous, and, above all, honest. You have to realise what is holding you back technically; you have to always focus on improving and not basking in what you have.

Thank you for replying in such depth. Sounds like you can rock on the guitar. I think it's so cool that you played in a band. I know I really have to practice but at the moment it's hard to find the time. I'm practicing an hour a day at the moment. Is that enough? I know it's probably not... :frown: At the moment I'm just learning from youtube videos- learning several rock songs on the guitar. I'm also playing my own stuff which isn't technical at all but it still sounds pretty good.
Reply 11
Original post by Grumpyteen
Thank you for replying in such depth. Sounds like you can rock on the guitar. I think it's so cool that you played in a band. I know I really have to practice but at the moment it's hard to find the time. I'm practicing an hour a day at the moment. Is that enough? I know it's probably not... :frown: At the moment I'm just learning from youtube videos- learning several rock songs on the guitar. I'm also playing my own stuff which isn't technical at all but it still sounds pretty good.

No worries. It was probably one of the best things that I did in my teenager years; I've always been a bit overly introverted and it drew me out a bit more and forced me to face things I found pretty terrifying head on (I was lead singer as well), was a wonderful creative outlet (we were an originals band eventually, even released a little CD lol, I wrote most of the music and lyrics), and did get us a little bit of cash every now and then..
Depends on how you're practising. For now, at this very early stage, when you are finding your feet, I suppose it would be a draining buzzkill to try to be really rigorous and scheduled, but in a small time frame as that, the need for schedule is amplified (no pun intended). But perhaps I am overkilling it here because technique/technical prowess is not everything. Look at somebody like Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, probably thousands on youtube who can play him off the stage, but it's the music he's written, in spite of a lack of super flash skills, that has made his band a phenomenal success. Look at B.B King, admitted himself he couldn't play fast for crap, but it is his unique feel and tone that mattered. So perhaps you are not doing too badly in trying to craft a style for yourself and writing your own stuff. But if you do happen to be serious about improving technique fast, there are many (mainly boring!) exercises you can find online with a quick google.
Reply 12
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
No worries. It was probably one of the best things that I did in my teenager years; I've always been a bit overly introverted and it drew me out a bit more and forced me to face things I found pretty terrifying head on (I was lead singer as well), was a wonderful creative outlet (we were an originals band eventually, even released a little CD lol, I wrote most of the music and lyrics), and did get us a little bit of cash every now and then..
Depends on how you're practising. For now, at this very early stage, when you are finding your feet, I suppose it would be a draining buzzkill to try to be really rigorous and scheduled, but in a small time frame as that, the need for schedule is amplified (no pun intended). But perhaps I am overkilling it here because technique/technical prowess is not everything. Look at somebody like Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, probably thousands on youtube who can play him off the stage, but it's the music he's written, in spite of a lack of super flash skills, that has made his band a phenomenal success. Look at B.B King, admitted himself he couldn't play fast for crap, but it is his unique feel and tone that mattered. So perhaps you are not doing too badly in trying to craft a style for yourself and writing your own stuff. But if you do happen to be serious about improving technique fast, there are many (mainly boring!) exercises you can find online with a quick google.

Ok!!! Lead singer as well! Epic! You must have had a right laugh :smile: Thank you for this advice. I agree about not really needing good technique because I'm well aware of certain bands who don't shred or anything but produce great catchy rock riffs. I might have a go at improving technique but if it doesn't go well then I'm just going to try and develop my own guitar style. I still do want to be really epic on the guitar though... or at least good enough to be in a band.

Quick Reply

Latest