Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing my UCAS application for the last week or so and I've put down all of my choices apart from Oxford, which is my main one. I can't add it as a choice without specifying which of the 30 colleges I'm applying to.

Until a couple of weeks ago I didn't even know there were different colleges, and I really have no idea how to choose. Everyone keeps saying how important it is, but they all seem exactly the same to me. I've tried to research them, but their websites almost never have any useful information.

Some things about me:
    -I'm taking A2 Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, and AS Further Maths this year.
    -I want to study Natural Sciences, but if I go to Oxford I will either do Biological Sciences or Physics (if my Physics exams go well enough).
    -I really, really don't like old-looking buildings. They really scare me. I don't mind what it looks like from the outside, but I'd like a dorm that looks relatively new and clean.
    -I would prefer a college with more people, since smaller groups always reject me. If I found myself in a smaller college, everyone would be friends with each other and I would be one of few outcasts.
    -I am a devout atheist and will be permanently angry in an overly religious environment. (Apparently some colleges are more religious than others.)

And, obviously, the proportion of students accepted each year is important!

So, does anyone have any suggestions regarding which college is right for me? I keep going to Christ Church as my default, but I don't really know much about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustJusty)
    I've been doing my UCAS application for the last week or so and I've put down all of my choices apart from Oxford, which is my main one. I can't add it as a choice without specifying which of the 30 colleges I'm applying to.

Until a couple of weeks ago I didn't even know there were different colleges, and I really have no idea how to choose. Everyone keeps saying how important it is, but they all seem exactly the same to me. I've tried to research them, but their websites almost never have any useful information.

Some things about me:
    -I'm taking A2 Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, and AS Further Maths this year.
    -I want to study Natural Sciences, but if I go to Oxford I will either do Biological Sciences or Physics (if my Physics exams go well enough).
    -I really, really don't like old-looking buildings. They really scare me. I don't mind what it looks like from the outside, but I'd like a dorm that looks relatively new and clean.
    -I would prefer a college with more people, since smaller groups always reject me. If I found myself in a smaller college, everyone would be friends with each other and I would be one of few outcasts.
    -I am a devout atheist and will be permanently angry in an overly religious environment. (Apparently some colleges are more religious than others.)

So, does anyone have any suggestions regarding which college is right for me? I keep going to Christ Church as my default, but I don't really know much about it.
    You should choose a college that suits you, not the most famous one. Check online info about them, how they look, their specificities and make a choice in function of that. Many people found themselves incredibly happy in a less-well-known College
    Unfortunately, I cannot advise you on a particular College as I haven't attended Oxford University.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    X
    A lot of colleges have modern annexes but if you want an actually modern college, have a look at St. Catherine's or St. Anne's (or LMH, St. Hugh's, St. Hilda's, St. Peter's or Somerville if victorian is okay). St. Catherines (aka St Catz) and St. Anne's are both large colleges. I don't think any of the colleges apart from the permanent private halls have an "overly religious environment". I haven't checked if these colleges accept Biologists/Physicists (I think that St. Anne's and St. Catz do both, you'll have to check for the others).

ReputationRep:
    Regent's Park.

ReputationRep:

Some things about me:

If you're looking for 'modern' colleges then those that Plagioclase mention are a good place to start. Note the 'modern' doesn't necessarily mean 21st century, though many colleges do have 'modern' annexes. However, having not seen much college accommodation other than Christ Church, I can't really comment. For what it's worth, if college websites aren't giving you the info you're looking for, most colleges probably have a JCR webpage which might be more helpful.

I was at ChCh, so if you do have any particular questions, feel free to ask. As for ChCh: it's a big college (both in student numbers and geographical size), it has a quite diverse student body with most subjects on offer, it's wealthy (which helps drive down costs for the students - there are generous bursaries, book grants, travel grants, holiday residence grants, prizes etc., dinner in hall is very cheap (with good reason because there are no proper kitchens on the main site), and I was very happy with rooms. However, it is very touristy. I personally didn't mind that though. Though there is a religious presence in college, I wouldn't have said it was overly religious. I'd say the majority of my friends considered themselves as atheists.

Would you be able to make it to the September open day? I remember equally being confused as to which college to apply to and just seeing colleges can help the decision a bit easier. If you find that you really don't mind, you could also choose to make an open application? It wouldn't effect your chances of being offered a place.

ReputationRep:

Some things about me:

On St Hugh's: It's one of the 'newer' colleges (in Oxford terms), so doesn't have old looking buildings. It does have obligatory ugly 60s block though - rooms however are still fairly pleasant, although "new looking" probably only really applies to Maplethorpe (the newest building) which you're pretty unlikely to live in until your final year. There are some en suite (mostly Maplethorpe, a few in another building) but majority not if this matters to you, however there's kitchen access everywhere (rare in Oxford colleges).

It's one of the larger colleges in terms of number of undergrads + physical size (lots of nice gardens/lawns where you can sit outside etc.), so you'll have no problem finding a friend group. It's a 15-20 minute walk from the city centre, 10 minute walk from the physics department (I just finished 1st yr physics at Hugh's if you have any other questions!), probably more like 15 to bio. If you cycle obviously getting around will be quicker but I walk everywhere with no issues, Oxford isn't very big. The perks of being a little further out than the majority of colleges means no tourists everywhere and none of the noise of the city centre at night, and plenty of space.

Religious presence: very low/not part of your life unless you want it to be.

Hugh's is also very undersubscribed, so you'd be unlikely to be reallocated to another college.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    [QUOTE=JustJusty;66440486]I've been doing my UCAS application for the last week or so and I've put down all of my choices apart from Oxford, which is my main one. I can't add it as a choice without specifying which of the 30 colleges I'm applying to.

We'd like to make three points/suggestions in response to your post.

Firstly, if you can't decide then its always possible to apply to Oxford without choosing a college - this is called an open application. The important thing is to apply by the UCAS deadline so consider this option if you are still really stuck by the deadline.

Secondly, we think the majority of applicants are not sure initially whether to make a direct college application. Visiting on an open day helps to make up a lot of minds so if you can get to the last Oxford open day on September 16th to take a look at the colleges that you are interested in, that's a good plan. Most of the other people attending will be doing the same thing.

Thirdly, the TSR wikipages may have some extra information. We try and keep ours up to date as do others:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ollege,_Oxford

Brasenose Admissions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.