Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was just wondering...

In Year 12 (AS-level), can I take FP2 with FP1?
    For Further Maths, it's usually FP1 and then I choose 2 other units to study (e.g. M1 and D1). But, I was thinking if I'm allowed to do FP2 since it's an A2 unit?

But then, on the spec it says: For GCE AS Further Mathematics, excluded units are C1, C2, C3, C4 and you can take any other optional unit. But, it also says that FP2 is an A2 unit..

I also read this:

Further Pure Mathematics units FP1, FP2, FP3 and a further three Applications units (excluding C1–C4) to make a total of six units; or FP1, either FP2 or FP3 and a further four Applications units (excluding C1–C4) to make a total of six units. Students who are awarded certificates in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and Advanced GCE Further Mathematics must use unit results from 12 different teaching modules.

I don't know whether that means do FP1 + 2 optional units in Year 12 and FP2 + FP3 + another optional unit in Year 13, or whether it means do it in any order you like but do FP1 - 3 + 3 other units.

I'm extremely confused lol, but basically, what I'm wondering is:

If I do FP2 in Year 12 and get 80 UMS...
    Will that contribute to my AS level Maths result or will it just be added to my A2 units UMS at the end?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Hey guys, I was just wondering...

For Further Maths, it's usually FP1 and then I choose 2 other units to study (e.g. M1 and D1). But, I was thinking if I'm allowed to do FP2 since it's an A2 unit?

But then, on the spec it says: For GCE AS Further Mathematics, excluded units are C1, C2, C3, C4 and you can take any other optional unit. But, it also says that FP2 is an A2 unit..

I also read this:

Further Pure Mathematics units FP1, FP2, FP3 and a further three Applications units (excluding C1–C4) to make a total of six units; or FP1, either FP2 or FP3 and a further four Applications units (excluding C1–C4) to make a total of six units. Students who are awarded certificates in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and Advanced GCE Further Mathematics must use unit results from 12 different teaching modules.

I don't know whether that means do FP1 + 2 optional units in Year 12 and FP2 + FP3 + another optional unit in Year 13, or whether it means do it in any order you like but do FP1 - 3 + 3 other units.

I'm extremely confused lol, but basically, what I'm wondering is:

If I do FP2 in Year 12 and get 80 UMS...
    Will that contribute to my AS level Maths result or will it just be added to my A2 units UMS at the end?
    No. You can't do A2 modules in Y12 as you first need AS

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can. FP1 along with any 2 other modules that aren't being used in maths.

Considering you're definitely doing C1, C2 and FP1, any 3 other modules will do.

However, you do need to know the entire C3 and C4 spec in order to do FP2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Yes, you can. FP1 along with any 2 other modules that aren't being used in maths.

Considering you're definitely doing C1, C2 and FP1, any 3 other modules will do.

However, you do need to know the entire C3 and C4 spec in order to do FP2.
    Oh right, that makes more sense, but I know I can't do that lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    No. You can't do A2 modules in Y12 as you first need AS
    Not true

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Not true

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps not technically but A2 fm modules are a whole lot more difficult while learning the AS level; especially when they are dependent on more modules. Simply not worth doing them in Y12

ReputationRep:
    From when I did it with MEI OCR a few years ago FP1 was a necessary part of AS further maths with 2 additional optional modules, and FP2 was a necessary part of the A2 module with 2 additional optional modules, from what I remember. So I wouldn't think that you could use FP2 with the AS, but then again asking your maths teacher might be the best idea. Also I found FP2 the toughest module I ever did by far (I did up to S3, M3, and D1 and DE). I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it in year 12. Moreover it is nice to leave some pure maths modules for year 13.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not technically but A2 fm modules are a whole lot more difficult while learning the AS level; especially when they are dependent on more modules. Simply not worth doing them in Y12
    Not true. They aren't any more difficult.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Not true. They aren't any more difficult.
    Thats subjective. From most that I have heard, they wouldnt be able to cover A2 concepts well while still learning AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thats subjective. From most that I have heard, they wouldnt be able to cover A2 concepts well while still learning AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, subjective, exactly. That applies to what you've said as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, subjective, exactly. That applies to what you've said as well.
    OP is more than welcome to go ahead and do it, I just doubt it would be worth the effort to cram it all in one year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP is more than welcome to go ahead and do it, I just doubt it would be worth the effort to cram it all in one year
    It's nowhere near as bad as you make it sound.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's nowhere near as bad as you make it sound.
    I personally dont think so too but like I said, most people I heard said they wouldnt do that. Still OP can go ahead and do it if his school allows it.

And to OP; FP2 is an A2 unit as you said so it cannot count towards AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

And to OP; FP2 is an A2 unit as you said so it cannot count towards AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, that sucks then. Clearly, no point of doing it in year 12 then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it would still count towards the full A-level. So you could already have an A2 module in the bag.

ReputationRep:
    I think that if ou were to do it, then is will not be counted towards an AS qualification, instead, you will simply have the unit module grades on your statement of results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaliforNeema)
    I think that if ou were to do it, then is will not be counted towards an AS qualification, instead, you will simply have the unit module grades on your statement of results.
    It can count towards an AS qualification. You can have an AS FM qualification with any modules not used in maths as long as FP1 is included.

Didn't you say that you wouldn't be doing C3/C4 in another thread? It's not possible to learn FP2 without learning all the core units

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    It can count towards an AS qualification. You can have an AS FM qualification with any modules not used in maths as long as FP1 is included.

Didn't you say that you wouldn't be doing C3/C4 in another thread? It's not possible to learn FP2 without learning all the core units
    That's nice . I want it to count towards AS, because A2 requires 90 UMS average - if I don't get that, considering everyone flops in FP2 lol...

Yeah I know, that's why I said it'd be too much work. I meant I'd learn if I was really into revision and working hard, let's just see how the year goes. I will learn C3, that's for sure lol... The question is, will I be working hard enough to learn C3, C4 and FP2 alongside with my normal modules?

ReputationRep:
    That's nice . I want it to count towards AS, because A2 requires 90 UMS average - if I don't get that, considering everyone flops in FP2 lol...
    What d'you mean everyone flops in FP2? The contrary is true, it's such a straightforward module that very many people get very high UMS, hence the ridiculously high grade boundaries for it.

ReputationRep:
    What d'you mean everyone flops in FP2? The contrary is true, it's such a straightforward module that very many people get very high UMS, hence the ridiculously high grade boundaries for it.
    Suprisingly low on OCR usually like 55/72 for an A lol, still pretty straightforward too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 21, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.