Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now we had big mobile phones theres just no point in them really, I can only assume people buy them to look trendy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    My phone is a little too small (for me) to do things like watch films on and I don't want to take a laptop with me when I go away.

ReputationRep:
    I think tablet computers are really good for very young kids, or old folks who are still technophobes.

They'll want a simple OS that they can navigate very easily, large buttons and icons that they can press without needing too much physical accuracy, and large text sizes that they can read easily.

Plus, if they want to look at something on the screen together with someone else (e.g. reading a kids' picture ebook together with a child, teaching gran how to buy something off amazon) it's useful to have a big screen that two people can see at once. They can be used as family devices rather than an individual person's device.

Also even for a young adult or student, whilst a phone/laptop combination is probably sufficient for most purposes and having an additional tablet might seem a little costly, I still think the tablet makes some tasks a little easier e.g. reading your pdf lecture notes or watching a film whilst travelling.

I hardly think people use them to "look trendy". Tablet PCs have been available for so long, and are in use by so many people that nobody thinks it's trendy anymore.*

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of those 'old folks'. I do have a laptop and I love my IPad. Laptop is too bulky for uni so I use my IPad. Laptop I use for assignments etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    I'm one of those 'old folks'. I do have a laptop and I love my IPad. Laptop is too bulky for uni so I use my IPad. Laptop I use for assignments etc.

Would you agree that millennials are lazier ,if compared to your generation?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Tablet computer is essential for everyone. It is only useful for corporate persons.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In the working world, tablets are absolutely necessary for many different reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a tablet computer but I do have a laptop and a tablet. I don't have a very good phone so I use my I pad most of the time for basically everything. I only ever use my laptop for school work.

(Original post by AsapRocky)
    Now we had big mobile phones theres just no point in them really, I can only assume people buy them to look trendy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My phone pretty much can't do anything except text - and it even gives up doing that at times. My iPad is my saviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Would you agree that millennials are lazier ,if compared to your generation?
    No I don't agree. I think millennials are taking full advantage of the technology that is now available which wasn't in my day. My kids didn't have a home computer and when I did my Access Course all work had to be done in longhand. You can't stop the March of progress and I wouldn't want to. Computers, tablets, phones are a window on the world. They enable people to reach every corner of the world and people of my generation find them invaluable for keeping in touch with family, friends etc, just like the millennials.

ReputationRep:
    Well, technically no. You can generally get by with a laptop and a phone. But some people prefer the tradeoffs associated with a tablet.

I personally own a Microsoft Surface. It's kind of like a tablet and a laptop in one unit. I never liked iPads or Android tablets, but I love the Microsoft surface because it has all the power of a laptop in the form factor of a tablet, and it can perform in either role.

I just don't like typing on a touchscreen, though, and that's a major reason why I seem to be sticking with laptops and the Microsoft Surface. I've tried it, I just can't get used to that form of input, so it's a little annoying that websites are increasingly built around that form of input... it's like being forced to use Windows 8 every time I go online with my desktop. Microsoft was smart enough to release Windows 10 which is more adaptable, but a lot of website developers have just started forcing mobile designs on everyone.

I can type 80 words per minute and I have Programming, Administration, and Linux experience. I'm kind of an old-fashioned computer nerd that loves command lines and typing over GUIs. I'm also an Auditory rather than Visual learner, so interfaces that replace words with pictures are frustrating for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    In the working world, tablets are absolutely necessary for many different reasons.
    nvm -__-

ReputationRep:
    Dont need one, just can be useful at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    No I don't agree. I think millennials are taking full advantage of the technology that is now available which wasn't in my day. My kids didn't have a home computer and when I did my Access Course all work had to be done in longhand. You can't stop the March of progress and I wouldn't want to. Computers, tablets, phones are a window on the world. They enable people to reach every corner of the world and people of my generation find them invaluable for keeping in touch with family, friends etc, just like the millennials.
    nvm as well -__-

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I've never saw the point of them really. A phone can get me through the day and I can just go on my computer at night.
    I've always seen tablets to be more for young children or for business use but I wouldnt be able to stand editing documents using an on-screen keyboard 😂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.