Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year student currently studying Psychology, however I decided after my Januaray exams that the course wasn't for me and transferred courses for September. I DID NOT take a leave of absence and instead just didn't show to my final exams and didn't participate in modules. I did this out of the advice from a tutor of mine advising it would be easier for me to fail the first year.

I have recently had an email asking if I intended to take a leave of absence as they still had me registered as a student and therefore was expecting me to complete my modules and exams but as I hadn't it could affect my finance.

My question is will I have to repay some of my finances as I did not officially drop out of the first year. I'm really worried as I do not have a part time job to fund the repayments 😖 Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    The calculation from SFE goes

Full duration of course + one gift year - previous years of study = the amount of years of funding left

If you've got any extenuating circumstances, you can get the drop-out year back but it's quite unlikely as you seem to be suggesting it was mostly based on a change of heart than any other circumstances. It's okay, you can still apply for SFE again without a problem next year - just don't disengage or drop out again, else you'd find yourself in a world of hurt

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply!

I didn't mean in terms of student finance for another year - I already know I'll get funding for my next 3 years of study.

I was referring to whether I'll have to repay some of the maintainance loan back as I didn't attend my exams or complete modules as that is what the email was suggesting. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    The calculation from SFE goes

Full duration of course + one gift year - previous years of study = the amount of years of funding left

If you've got any extenuating circumstances, you can get the drop-out year back but it's quite unlikely as you seem to be suggesting it was mostly based on a change of heart than any other circumstances. It's okay, you can still apply for SFE again without a problem next year - just don't disengage or drop out again, else you'd find yourself in a world of hurt

What is a gift year? **

ReputationRep:
    Gift years just refer to the fact that Student Finance England isn't cruel enough to say "you only have one chance at University, if you don't succeed in any one year then you have to pay £9000 tuition". It's the government's way of giving you a second chance, but with the way things are going that might not last.

EDIT - to OP, you won't have to until you're earning more than £21,000.00/year (gross income). The only repayments you'll have to make will be if you received a Maintenance/Special Support Grant. The exact legal circumstances depends on how the University dealt with your case, if you were removed from the course mid-way through then you would be liable but if you didn't receive one then you wouldn't.

If you simply didn't turn up for exams, but was technically enrolled until the very end of the year, then you are not liable for repaying even the maintenance grants.

FYI - I'm not a lawyer, it would be best to contact the SFE about some of this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.