Turn on thread page Beta

Emergency Statement from Acting Foreign Secretary on behalf of Her Majesty's Govt. watch

ReputationRep:
    THIS ISN'T REAL, JUST A MODEL HOUSE OF COMMONS ON TSR

Emergency Statement from Acting Foreign Secretary on behalf of Her Majesty's Government

Emergency Statement from Acting Foreign Secretary
    on behalf of Her Majesty's Government

As has been shown to the world over the last several hours, the Turkish military (or part of it) has now launched a coup against the reigning government elected in 2015. Indeed, they are claiming to have control of large swathes of government and Ankara with flights into Turkey now being turned away.

Whilst Her Majesty's Government values sovereignty and the ability of citizens to freely and fairly choose their own representatives, we have become increasingly concerned over the last months and years that the current president (and his followers in parliament) have put forward an increasingly fascist agenda and moved towards Islamist policy and support for Islamic terrorist organisations.

In light of the above, Her Majesty's Government has decided that the military must be supported in its ambition to return Turkey to a secular and western-friendly state.

With regards to all UK nationals currently in Turkey, the current advice is to remain where you are and seek contact with the British Embassy in Ankara, as we negotiate a route out of the country for you.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but I think this is in really poor taste. There's people out there in Ankara and Istanbul as we speak fearing for their lives - quite possibly including Brits or even people known to MHoC members. It's not the time to be making it into part of the game here.

EDIT: Not to mention that this could draw attention from non-MHoC users thinking it's a post about a real statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Sorry, but I think this is in really poor taste. There's people out there in Ankara and Istanbul as we speak fearing for their lives - quite possibly including Brits or even people known to MHoC members. It's not the time to be making it into part of the game here.
    It's a major current even which I think incites interesting debate, for example about Erdogan's ties to Islamic terrorism or the support of the RL UK for Turkey's accession to the EU despite Erdogan's regime and the possibility of a military coup out of the blue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    It's a major current even which I think incites interesting debate, for example about Erdogan's ties to Islamic terrorism or the support of the RL UK for Turkey's accession to the EU despite Erdogan's regime and the possibility of a military coup out of the blue.
    Interesting indeed, I agree, but probably more so after a) we have more of an idea what's actually going on (there's a reason no government is yet taking sides IRL) and b) the immidiate shock is over and people have some idea about safety of friends, family etc. Not saying it shouldn't be talked about, but as it's literally unfolding and lives are being lost doesn't sit well with me.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: Not to mention that this could draw attention from non-MHoC users thinking it's a post about a real statement.
    I'm pretty sure you were Lab leader when Assad used chemical weapons in RL and all the parties released some kind of statement at election time.

To the second thing, i suggest that LP edit the statement with a bold disclaimer.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting indeed, I agree, but probably more so after a) we have more of an idea what's actually going on (there's a reason no government is yet taking sides IRL) and b) the immidiate shock is over and people have some idea about safety of friends, family etc. Not saying it shouldn't be talked about, but as it's literally unfolding and lives are being lost doesn't sit well with me.
    I'm more pragmatic and see this as an opportunity to make Europe safer, therefore I'm willing to place a bet on one of the sides even before I know the full extent of the situation. As one person put it: “Anything is better than Erdogan.”

Feel free to join the debate when you're ready.

I should also give credit where it's due and announce the Acting Foreign Secretary: The statement was written by Rakas21 and lightly edited by myself. Jammy Duel has become Acting Foreign Secretary and will be taking care of matters concerning the FCO until further notice.

ReputationRep:
    i thought this was real

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcde3237)
    i thought this was real
    Always look at the breadcrumbs; I've edited the post to make it clearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcde3237)
    i thought this was real
    This is based on real events in Turkey!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As Saoirse said, this statement is quite distasteful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    You know that Labour would have some kind of statement even if not so clear cut.

Let's not play politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Rember this? I must have missed your criticism back than, you petulant hypocrite.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So if we are supporting secularism does that mean the government will support the bill to remove the queen as head of the church and a bill to remove lords spiritual or is this just one of those 'we support it when it works for us' things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So if we are supporting secularism does that mean the government will support the bill to remove the queen as head of the church and a bill to remove lords spiritual or is this just one of those 'we support it when it works for us' things?
    I'd support a cull of the Lords generally to cut it down to size (lets say 500 would be a more reasonable number) and so that would be an opportunity to remove them at that juncture.

I see little reason to remove the Queen as head of the Church, it would be little more than symbolic and therefore a pointless piece of legislation.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'd support a cull of the Lords generally to cut it down to size (lets say 500 would be a more reasonable number) and so that would be an opportunity to remove them at that juncture.

I see little reason to remove the Queen as head of the Church, it would be little more than symbolic and therefore a pointless piece of legislation.
    The queen is still head of state and the PM is expected to give her religious Guidence or appoint someone to do that so she absolutely should be removed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The queen is still head of state and the PM is expected to give her religious Guidence or appoint someone to do that so she absolutely should be removed.
    What must be remembered is that Turkey is constitutionally a secular state, something Erdogan has been conveniently ignoring, at least according to some. A return of Turkey to a secular state is merely returning Turkey to its constitutional state rather than progressing towards an Islamist state.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rember this? I must have missed your criticism back than, you petulant hypocrite.
    Two completely different issues, but hey if it is convenient for you to try and say otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I never thought I would say this about this government, but good job!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The second time you've forgotten to ignore me. :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye , a decent statement

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.