Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all -

I am working as a sales assistant over the summer roughly 2-3 days a week.
    We get paid weekly - I checked last weeks payslip and roughly £9 was taken off for 'PAYE tax' when my total earning should of been around £120 instead i was paid £111 for that week.

Is it correct? I am 20 if that even needs to be taken into consideration and do roughly 14-21 hours per week.
    If not - what do i do?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by JasmineBerry)
    Hi all -

I am working as a sales assistant over the summer roughly 2-3 days a week.
    We get paid weekly - I checked last weeks payslip and roughly £9 was taken off for 'PAYE tax' when my total earning should of been around £120 instead i was paid £111 for that week.

Is it correct? I am 20 if that even needs to be taken into consideration and do roughly 14-21 hours per week.
    If not - what do i do?

Thanks
    What's your tax code? It seems incorrect to me so you need to phone hmrc and get it changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    What's your tax code? It seems incorrect to me so you need to phone hmrc and get it changed.
    To be honest, I have no idea what my tax code is As this is my first paid job - is there anyway of finding it? and okay, thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    To be honest, I have no idea what my tax code is As this is my first paid job - is there anyway of finding it? and okay, thank you.
    Have you got a payslip yet? It should be on there somewhere,it seems pretty likely that it's wrong as you shouldn't be paying tax at all on earnings under 11k and I think no ni on that wage either.

ReputationRep:
    Your tax code should be on your pay slip, usually somewhere near where it tells you how much tax has been deducted,but could be in the section with your personal information.

ReputationRep:
    Should be on your payslip but you can also sign up to the personal tax account on the gov.uk website to see what code you're on. Alternatively call HMRC and they'll confirm what code you're on and adjust it if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    if ur working u pay taxes get over it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys - I'll call HMRC

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.