Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni students/grads could u walk into GCSE maths exam and pass? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you could just walk in with no revision and pass? If so at what grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    Do you think you could just walk in with no revision and pass? If so at what grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ive just finished first year medicine at uni, and I do feel I could go into a GCSE maths exam and pass (probably end up with a B without any revision) - thats mainly because I did AS maths and remember a lot of the things.

ReputationRep:
    No. The subjects I did at a level are not maths related and neither is my degree subject. I barely remember anything from GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Well GCSE Maths isn't exactly difficult... I don't know if I'd do amazingly but I'm 10000000% sure I'd pass it. I got an A in my actual GCSE with no revision, and several people in my class managed to get A*s without revision too.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I could easily get an A with no revision. That's because I have a maths degree. With revision, I would be getting near enough 100%.

I might lose marks on stuff I've never seen or revised, though I still think I could easily get an A in a quarter of the time.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It depends on the course the graduates studied.

A maths/physics/engineering graduate should be able to enter a GCSE exam and walk away with a grade A or higher without knowing the syllabus or doing any revision.

Much of the answers for GCSE can be done in the head on inspection and would therefore be trivial. As the previous poster said, it will also be completed in a fraction of the allocated time.

ReputationRep:
    I actually tried, there were a few concepts in statistics (not doing S1) that seemed a bit tricky, as well as things that don't come up in Core modules, but I normally got more than 90-95% raw which is A*. I suppose if I practiced I'd get 100% or extremely near.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I don't think I could!
    I haven't done maths for three years (I did arts subjects from A-Levels onward) and I've forgotten a lot of the stuff like algebra. I could probably do ok with the more real-life problems and some basic statistics/probability questions, but I can't remember the more complex stuff since I haven't had to use most of what I learnt at GCSE in my everyday life...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.