Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel that my predicted grades for my exams that I will sit in 2017 will be A*AB (B in Economics because I did not do very well in my internal exams this year).Although I feel I will get higher in the real thing if I work extremely hard. A teacher told me that it was not worth applying to Oxbridge if I didn't have predicted grades of A*AA or higher. Is it still worth applying or shall I take a deferred entry in case I do better in the real exams? I understand that predicted grades are just one of many factors but I don't know if I will be automatically at a disadvantage because of them? Like how much weighting is there?

ReputationRep:
    You will be at a disadvantage. A large one. Most people who apply have A*A*A +. A*AB probably won't cut it. That said, Grades aren't everything.

ReputationRep:
    You should have predicted grades which mach the requirement of the course you're applying for, otherwise they may not even invite you for an interview.
    Try to get A*AA if that's the course requirement or higher if that's the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    You should have predicted grades which mach the requirement of the course you're applying for, otherwise they may not even invite you for an interview.
    Try to get A*AA if that's the course requirement or higher if that's the case.
    What if the grade requirements are AAA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ti26)
    What if the grade requirements are AAA?
    I thought it would be at least A*AA for everything? I may be wrong. Even if the requirement is AAA and you're predicted A*AB they wouldn't accept that. They are very strict about entry requirements. I haven't seen anyone during my interview who was predicted lower than the requirements.

Try to convince your teachers to predict the minimum requirement at least. (If you're confident you can achieve it at the end!!)

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would be at least A*AA for everything? I may be wrong. Even if the requirement is AAA and you're predicted A*AB they wouldn't accept that. They are very strict about entry requirements. I haven't seen anyone during my interview who was predicted lower than the requirements.

Try to convince your teachers to predict the minimum requirement at least. (If you're confident you can achieve it at the end!!)
    Thank you so much! I was thinking that maybe if my entry requirements are not good enough I can take a gap year and reapply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ti26)
    Thank you so much! I was thinking that maybe if my entry requirements are not good enough I can take a gap year and reapply!
    You can always do that as well Are you sure you can't achieve A*AA or your teachers wouldn't predict that for you? You won't get an offer if admissions don't think you can make it, which is why they take predicted grades seriously.

Which course is it btw?

ReputationRep:
    You can always do that as well Are you sure you can't achieve A*AA or your teachers wouldn't predict that for you? You won't get an offer if admissions don't think you can make it, which is why they take predicted grades seriously.

Which course is it btw?
    I want to study English, although my backups are King's, Warwick, Nottingham and Queen Mary's London. I am pretty sure my Economics teacher won't predict me above a B, which is a shame i guess

ReputationRep:
    Last year a girl in my Sixth Form had a conditional offer for Biological Sciences (I think it was A*AA) but achieved A*AB. They still accepted her, but that is extremely rare. I don't know the circumstances that led to this decision.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.