Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I was talking to my friends and they all pretty much have decided they want to get married and have kids etc.

I'm not so sure about my future in terms of marriage etc. I wanted to know other people's views on marriage and why.

Thank you X
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nimrahk123)
    So, I was talking to my friends and they all pretty much have decided they want to get married and have kids etc.

I'm not so sure about my future in terms of marriage etc. I wanted to know other people's views on marriage and why.

Thank you X
    My partner and I plan to get married next year, then get a mortgage and then have kids. I want to get married for the sign of commitment, to celebrate our relationship with friends and family (and for some part the legal benefits, i dont like how we aren't considered new of kin at the moment).

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind getting married in the future at some point, although it's not a priority for me. I also have no intention of having children
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Me and my partner are planning our wedding atm for our tenth anniversary. We don't want children so that's not a reason for us to get married. Our biggest reason for getting married is to have financial security together and also to have rights when it comes to each others health. I don't keep too well and he knows exactly what I want in regards to my health so its important for him to have a say as I trust him with my life and decisions if I'm not well enough to make them.

If common law man and wife could have those rights then we wouldn't get married then as we are happy with the way we are atm. We've been together for 7 and a half years and lived together for 6 and a half years so we pretty much know each other inside out so marriage won't change anything other than the rights we will get.

We don't believe you need to be married to show you're committed to each other or to show you're strong enough to have children. Its up to each couple and there should be no pressure in regards to getting married.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    My partner and I plan to get married next year, then get a mortgage and then have kids. I want to get married for the sign of commitment, to celebrate our relationship with friends and family (and for some part the legal benefits, i dont like how we aren't considered new of kin at the moment).
    Wow, you seem to have a lot of your life planned, but is marriage needed as a sign of commitment, we live in a society where marriage isn't all that valued anymore.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nimrahk123)
    Wow, you seem to have a lot of your life planned, but is marriage needed as a sign of commitment, we live in a society where marriage isn't all that valued anymore.
    I didn't mean it's necessary as a sign of commitment but that's what it means to us. But also as spocks socks says marriage gets you a lot of legal rights and I want my partner to have those especially to be able to make medical decisions for me if it comes to it and if anything happens to me, intesacy rules get you nothing as common law partners (something my mum fell foul to) and I don't want my kids to be in that situation that I was in because of it (we should have a valid will anyway but just in case).

ReputationRep:
    Have been married over 2 years now..

Got married the summer after I finished university.. went straight into my first real job, moved to a new city, rented my first proper apartment etc. it was a huge shift after 4 years of being a student.

Think carefully about marriage. We live in a society where 50% of marriages fail. That should send you a clear message that the idea of marriage is somewhat off kilter with many peoples outlook and way of living.

I do think marriage is important, and the current format of marriage is perfect for some people (me included), but the idea that you MUST get married.. and it is an essential part of life that everyone should go through.. just does not add up to the current state of affairs.

Until they reform marriage and update it in line with our modern society (or bring our modern society back in line with marriage) marriage should remain something that is right for some, and very bad for others.

Spoiler:
    Show
    at the moment it seems boys are realizing this but girls are not yet.. I know a large number of young men who never want to get married.. but only 1 girl who doesn't like the idea.. the rest all want it, even though its painfully obvious that some of them are not at all suited to marriage, and will be dealing with a messy painful divorce at some point in their future.

I would put this down to the one-sided nature of divorces, being worse for men then women (in general) forcing men to wake up quicker to the reality that marriage is not always the best choice for a couple..

More and more women will come around to this way of thinking soon, unless something is done

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is essentially just a legal contract. But I like the idea of it. However, I would be perfectly happy to have kids before being married and then have them at the ceremony. The idea ceremony for me would be me, my partner and some close friends in a nice setting somewhere.

The idea of marriage being romantic has been destroyed by the high divorce rate and all the stories you hear of couples going to war with each other/their families before they've even said I do.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.