The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Certified0121
Yo listen, what are the good chem eng clearing places??

manchester, swansea, HW, Lborugh etc
Original post by masonetiainen
the interviews are really informal and I don't think they are very important in the selection process to be honest. I think most people who turn up to the interviews get an offer. The interview is part of an open day for the course too so it's more a chance for the candidate to get a feel for the university and the department. I have read on here that they do accept people if they miss their offer by a grade or something, and given that they're in clearing there's probably a good chance of that this year. :smile:

Interviews are really informal, and I agree that many of those that simply attend will receive offers.

However, the notion that grades are flexible because they're in Clearing is nonsense. Manchester aren't flexible for chemical engineering AT ALL (i.e. AAA means AAA, and not even A*AB will get you in).

If you don't have AAA, then you are NOT getting in.

They are in Clearing for students with grades that meet their requirements and to add to the ridiculous 250+ students they have in each year, not to pick up those who achieved lower than expected grades.
Original post by IAmADunce
Interviews are really informal, and I agree that many of those that simply attend will receive offers.

However, the notion that grades are flexible because they're in Clearing is nonsense. Manchester aren't flexible for chemical engineering AT ALL (i.e. AAA means AAA, and not even A*AB will get you in).

They are in Clearing for students with grades that meet their requirements and to add to the ridiculous 250+ students they have in each year, not to pick up those who achieved lower than expected grades.

I thought I had seen cases on here where some people were admitted into Manchester if they just missed their grade requirements. Sorry for the misinformation, I should have made clear that l wasn't certain. :smile:
Original post by IAmADunce

My grades were added up wrong and there's a very high chance that it's going to change to a*ab. Did you personally get rejected from Manchester when going through clearing?
Yo bois, I made it to Manny A*AA!!
Original post by Khanman123

My guy. Uve done really well boss
Off to bath. Missed out on imperial lol but was very close.
Still happy bath is awesome!

Firstly congrats! Also do you know of anyone getting into the chem eng course slightly missing the aaa? I'm going for a priority remark there's a chance I could turn everything around but atm I'm stuck with a*bb.
Reply 2628
Original post by FusionNetworks
Off to bath. Missed out on imperial lol but was very close.
Still happy bath is awesome!

Im in the same situation man, looking forward too! Imperial would've been great, but bath is amazing too. See you soon there! :smile:
Original post by anaghc
Im in the same situation man, looking forward too! Imperial would've been great, but bath is amazing too. See you soon there! :smile:

Yeh man but congratulations at least we get to go to uni! I really hope I get accommodation though. Have you had any emails from bath?
Original post by dash52
Firstly congrats! Also do you know of anyone getting into the chem eng course slightly missing the aaa? I'm going for a priority remark there's a chance I could turn everything around but atm I'm stuck with a*bb.

Thats peak man, I don't know of anyone who's got in but one of my friends has got in for chem even tho she missed her offer by a grade, so there might still be hope.good luck G.
Thats peak man, I don't know of anyone who's got in but one of my friends has got in for chem even tho she missed her offer by a grade, so there might still be hope.good luck G.

I don't even think they'll accept a*ab, got offered material science with engineering and took that instead. It's all good, what's ur accommodation saying
Original post by dash52
I don't even think they'll accept a*ab, got offered material science with engineering and took that instead. It's all good, what's ur accommodation saying

Yo that's decent, my accommodations bless too. Got my first choice of Denmark rd and might be getting transferred to the Tesco which is like 5 mins away from there. Cost me 6k tho.
I got A*A*A* in Maths, Chemistry and Business studies and I have applied for chemistry. I was wondering whether it is right choice to change it to chemical engineering but im.not sure. I mean I feel that I haven't done anything in a level that will help in University after looking at module. I am kind if scared and don't know what to expect. So what shall I do.. I only want to do engineering because I feel I earn more money that's it ... I don't know I'm weird person I don't like either chemistry or engineering.. I'm only doing Chemistry because it is easy :frown: :frown:
Original post by igotnomoney
I got A*A*A* in Maths, Chemistry and Business studies and I have applied for chemistry. I was wondering whether it is right choice to change it to chemical engineering but im.not sure. I mean I feel that I haven't done anything in a level that will help in University after looking at module. I am kind if scared and don't know what to expect. So what shall I do.. I only want to do engineering because I feel I earn more money that's it ... I don't know I'm weird person I don't like either chemistry or engineering.. I'm only doing Chemistry because it is easy :frown: :frown:

If at all possible I would recommend considering a gap year. I was in a very similar position to you after finishing my A-levels, originally I wanted to study chemistry but realised I only chose it because I found it to be the easiest of all my subjects. It was one that I was familiar with, I realised doing it at university would be me keeping within my comfort zone. I decided to study further maths in my year out and over the summer thought more about what I really wanted to do, and found that chemical engineering seemed most interesting to me. You have an amazing set of results and you don't want to find yourself feeling disillusioned with your subject choice and possibly dropping out - if you really don't like the idea of chemistry or chemical engineering, you probably shouldn't do them. I hope you find the right path for you!
Does anyone know when the UCL chemical engineering course starts ?
Original post by Tmann1125
Does anyone know when the UCL chemical engineering course starts ?

25th
Hello. I wanna apply for Chemical Engineering at University for 2018 entry. I hope that some of the people that have commented on this forum have got into a good uni to do chem eng. If so, please could you dm me or something as I would love to get any advice from anyone who has just started chem eng. I am currently writing my personal statement so yeah if anyone could give me some advice or anything, I would appreciate that a lot.
Who's going to study Chemical Engineering at UOB in September? When do we move in etc?
Original post by Chemgawd99
Who's going to study Chemical Engineering at UOB in September? When do we move in etc?

Bath or Birmingham?:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending