The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AEFRGF
Has anyone received an offer yet from Edinburgh for chemeng, if yes how long did it take and what did they ask also is it for first year entry or second :yep:

I received on offer but I accidentally applied to first year entry, where the conditions were AAA and they took like a week and a half to get back to me with an offer. For second year entry the requirements are A*AA.
Original post by timster32
I received on offer but I accidentally applied to first year entry, where the conditions were AAA and they took like a week and a half to get back to me with an offer. For second year entry the requirements are A*AA.

when did you apply ? what subjects do you study
I also applied to Edinburgh took them 13 days I think I applied to first year entry AAA they give lower but I think that's contextual. My predicted grades are A*AA. I study maths, chemistry and physics at A2. I applied on the 20th of October.
Original post by AEFRGF
when did you apply ? what subjects do you study

19th October and I do Maths, Further, Physics and Chemistry.
Original post by emduck
I also applied to Edinburgh took them 13 days I think I applied to first year entry AAA they give lower but I think that's contextual. My predicted grades are A*AA. I study maths, chemistry and physics at A2. I applied on the 20th of October.

Congrats on your offer, what I don’t understand is that first year entry should be more like ABB-AAB as it’s like an extra year ( foundation year ) to prepare you for the proper stuff in the later years of the course. Where as the second year entry is the standard length of a chemeng course so it understandable why they would ask for A*AA
:u:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by timster32
19th October and I do Maths, Further, Physics and Chemistry.

OK thanks wow you study some hard subjects
I wish i studied further maths instead of bio
Original post by AEFRGF
Congrats on your offer, what I don’t understand is that shouldn't first year entry be more like ABB-AAB as it’s like an extra year ( foundation year ) you get to prepare to do proper stuff in the later years. Where as the second year entry is the standard length of a chemeng course so it understandable why they would ask for A*AA
:u:

Yeah the first year is just going over the knowledge again so I don't know why they want AAA, but if you have a contextual circumstance I think they will give a lower offer. :smile:
Original post by emduck
Yeah the first year is just going over the knowledge again so I don't know why they want AAA, but if you have a contextual circumstance I think they will give a lower offer. :smile:

Yeah its good :smile: thats why i am applying for scottish Uni's as i havent done further maths so i think that year extra will help me go over fp1, fp2 and fp3 content which will be so handy for the 2nd and 3rd year as if i didnt i wouldn't enjoy the course due the amount of work i would have to do in a standard first year in a uni in england.

My mates doing his first year chemeng at Ucl with AAA in Bio chem Maths and he says its so stressful and time consuming the first year so far as mainly because he hasn't done further maths where as other who have an enjoy the first year much more
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Haha not quite :wink: A*A*AA
When was your interview? How do you think it went? (Or have you not had an interview yet?)

BAHHAHAH you think i'd get an interview mate looooooooool
Original post by AEFRGF
Yeah its good :smile: thats why i am applying for scottish Uni's as i havent done further maths so i think that year extra will help me go over fp1, fp2 and fp3 content which will be so handy for the 2nd and 3rd year as if i didnt i wouldn't enjoy the course due the amount of work i would have to do in a standard first year in a uni in england.

My mates doing his first year chemeng at Ucl with AAA in Bio chem Maths and he says its so stressful and time consuming the first year so far as mainly because he hasn't done further maths where as other who have an enjoy the first year much more

I've applied to UCl too, but can't decide between Manchester and UCL. Is it true that the teaching sucks for chem eng?
Yeah I applied to Imperial with 3 subjects and got an interview coming up, I'm expecting A*A*A* as an offer if I manage to get an offer at all.
Birmingham or Manchester for chem eng?
Original post by Khanman123
I've applied to UCl too, but can't decide between Manchester and UCL. Is it true that the teaching sucks for chem eng?

Teaching is not an issue its just that they expect you to be a bit for independant but if you have done f-maths it shouldn't be an issue
Original post by APersonYo
Birmingham or Manchester for chem eng?

I would say birmingham is better if you meet A*AA requirements tbh i know a guy from my skl who got into it as a retake predicted A*AA and they allowed him in even though he got A* in maths A in chem B in physis
Original post by AEFRGF
I would say birmingham is better if you meet A*AA requirements tbh i know a guy from my skl who got into it as a retake predicted A*AA and they allowed him in even though he got A* in maths A in chem B in physis

I've been predicted A*AA
but my offer is AAAA as I already have an A in epq.
I've been predicted A*AA
but my offer is AAAA as I already have an A in epq.

Then birmingham is the one
Original post by AEFRGF
Then birmingham is the one

Yes, but manchester makes me weirdly happy. Theres an odd sentiment to it.
Yes, but manchester makes me weirdly happy. Theres an odd sentiment to it.

hmm,, well is it up to you but dont forget birm is 4th in ranking for chemeng
Original post by AEFRGF
hmm,, well is it up to you but dont forget birm is 4th in ranking for chemeng

Yes, but I want to go to a university where I'll be happy, not just prestige. I might probably end up picking birmingham anyway.
Original post by FusionNetworks
Well done on the imperial offer! Did u revise any chemistry before hand?

Thank you!! And yes, but I felt super over prepared seeing as the interviewer only asked me about equilibria haha. There were a few odd questions people got, e.g. how many petrol stations are there in Leeds or how do you estimate the mass of a cow, but just work through the problem and say something, even if it sounds ridiculous. Hmm also look over C4 integration, I got an integration question but luckily I did it in further maths (C4 integration is one of the last things we learn but we need it for other modules so spend a bit of time going over it haha). Although, if I recall correctly, you did the whole of maths last year and are doing further this year??

Quick Reply

Latest