Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I've got an offer for Mathematical Computation at UCL and I decided to prep as much as possible over summer in order to get as much of a head start as I can so that I can maximize my chances of getting a first. I've got a few questions regarding this.

List of modules: http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/teaching_lea...h_computation/ . I've found several PDFs for the recommended/required textbooks and quite a few are 200+ pages (some are around 1000 pages :O ). My questions are:

-Which modules should I prioritize?

-Which parts of each textbook are actually necessary to learn? (I'm reasonably sure most of it will be esoteric bull which I won't need)

-Are there any other resources you can recommend?

Any advice is welcome (even if you're not studying this exact degree/from a different uni). Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I do CS (not mathcomp) at UCL so I can give you a little bit of help on the modules we share. I'll be honest I didn't use a single textbook all year (except sorta the haskell one).
    Principles of Programming is easy marks and obviously if you've never programmed, prioritise this.
    C - lots of resources out there, Harvard's CS50 course seems to be a decent intro to C and other things.
    Haskell - the recommended text 'learn you a haskell' is pretty good, and free to view online

Object Oriented programming - wouldn't worry too much, if you're good at C then you'll pick up java pretty easily. the 'gang of four' design patterns book is probably a good idea to read for background knowledge (I still need to...)

Theory 1/2 - Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen seems to be widely well regarded, I didn't use it personally.

Robotics - no texts.

Which modules to prioritise? Maths and theory 2 were hardest for me personally, but ended up doing best in them after prioritising them. Robotics sucks up time so be wary. No module is crazy hard, you'll be fine as long as you put in some hours to cover all the content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    I do CS (not mathcomp) at UCL so I can give you a little bit of help on the modules we share. I'll be honest I didn't use a single textbook all year (except sorta the haskell one).
    Principles of Programming is easy marks and obviously if you've never programmed, prioritise this.
    C - lots of resources out there, Harvard's CS50 course seems to be a decent intro to C and other things.
    Haskell - the recommended text 'learn you a haskell' is pretty good, and free to view online

Object Oriented programming - wouldn't worry too much, if you're good at C then you'll pick up java pretty easily. the 'gang of four' design patterns book is probably a good idea to read for background knowledge (I still need to...)

Theory 1/2 - Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen seems to be widely well regarded, I didn't use it personally.

Robotics - no texts.

Which modules to prioritize? Maths and theory 2 were hardest for me personally, but ended up doing best in them after prioritizing them. Robotics sucks up time so be wary. No module is crazy hard, you'll be fine as long as you put in some hours to cover all the content.
    Thank you very much for your reply man, I appreciate it. I was wondering if you know anyone who has done 'Mathematical Methods' - I've looked at the spec and it seems pretty much identical to FP2 & FP3 (Edexcel) and was wondering if just covering these two will cover the entirety of the module (i.e. I won't have to do anything later in the year ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doberman465)
    Thank you very much for your reply man, I appreciate it. I was wondering if you know anyone who has done 'Mathematical Methods' - I've looked at the spec and it seems pretty much identical to FP2 & FP3 (Edexcel) and was wondering if just covering these two will cover the entirety of the module (i.e. I won't have to do anything later in the year ).
    I don't know that module unfortunately, but I'd guess that even if you know a lot of it there'll be plenty more to learn/learn rigorously. The maths is basically from a maths course I think so will probably quite tough even with FP2/3. Don't get complacent, but as long as you put in the hours you'll probably do very well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.