Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i got my IB results yesterday, and instead of the required 39 IB Points, i got 38 points (7,7,5 @ HL)...i got the 5 in Math!!! (even though my predicted was 6)

Is there still a chance of them accepting me??

Any help will be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there is a chance but no-one can say for sure.

ReputationRep:
    There's a chance but you'll have to make the effort and ring them.

If they don't hear from you (begging), then why should they let you in anyway?

Call them!

ReputationRep:
    Oh i did call them...ironically enough...the message on the phone said that the admissions tutor is not available in the office till 24th July!

ReputationRep:
    Email them!

ReputationRep:
    I heard that UCL economics department is really strict with people missing thier offers. My cousin emailed them like 2 years ago about himself possibly missing the offer and he was told with so many offers handed theres no chance unless you have an exceptional reason.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's very unlikely. The ratio of offers to places is large, and they rely on people not making their offers in order to narrow it down further. That's why the offers are all 39 or AAA for Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benh842)
    I think it's very unlikely. The ratio of offers to places is large, and they rely on people not making their offers in order to narrow it down further. That's why the offers are all 39 or AAA for Economics.
    Do you think this is the case for English as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empfrench)
    Do you think this is the case for English as well?

English yes.. Its different if you miss AAA by one UMS to 1 IB point though.

Original poster- the fact that u've missed in maths will probablly be your downfall.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if they don't let you in for straight Econ they'll take you for a joint degree? Or maybe you might be allowed to do Economics and Business in the School of Slavonic and Eastern European Studies (department at UCL)?

ReputationRep:
    Update us when you get to talk to them!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i definitely will

Almost certainly, no. Sorry dude.

ReputationRep:
    You never know. I would call them ASAP and let them know. Normally you may be asked to wait until August when A-Level results are out to see what the English students have gotten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Almost certainly, no. Sorry dude.
    Im pretty sure they will consider it, i missed out by much much more than 1 point, and they let me in...

(Original post by acore)
    Im pretty sure they will consider it, i missed out by much much more than 1 point, and they let me in...
    Surprising given that there are too many people on the L100 course.

If you fluff up something minor, your odds are better. But to miss your maths by 2 out of 7? Slim odds.

ReputationRep:
    any updates?

ReputationRep:
    Trying to quantify someone's worth. Rather cruel all of this isn't it...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.