Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Can someone please explain the difference (if any) between international relations and politics? Also, if there's anyone who currently studies either one, what kind of stuff do you learn about? Course content? Would you say law and politics are similar at uni? Finally, do you enjoy it and do you think it is worth it? Thank you, I know it's a lot of questions but I'm just considering all my options for uni! 😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samihab)
    Hi! Can someone please explain the difference (if any) between international relations and politics? Also, if there's anyone who currently studies either one, what kind of stuff do you learn about? Course content? Would you say law and politics are similar at uni? Finally, do you enjoy it and do you think it is worth it? Thank you, I know it's a lot of questions but I'm just considering all my options for uni! 😅
    I studied International Relations for my BA, but also took some Politics modules. Broadly speaking, Politics focuses on the government of a country and International Relations typically on the relatinship between two or more, including through international organisations. I guess you could say looking at the Foreign Policy of a country is IR too. Generally you can pick IR options as optiona modules on a Politics course and vice versa. You can see what modules universities offer on their websites and they do vary by university however as an example for Politics you may look at Political Theory, UK Politics, US Politics, Russian Politics. IR you may look at IR theory, Globalisation, International Organisations, you may have a standalone module on the EU. Tbh Politics and Law aren't that similar at all, Politics doesn't just mean UK politics and even then it focuses more on the structure and functions of government than the laws of that country.

I really enjoyed it, I found IR theory a bit drab but the rest of it very interesting but that is really down to personal preference. When you say is it worth it what are you hoping to get from it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I studied International Relations for my BA, but also took some Politics modules. Broadly speaking, Politics focuses on the government of a country and International Relations typically on the relatinship between two or more, including through international organisations. I guess you could say looking at the Foreign Policy of a country is IR too. Generally you can pick IR options as optiona modules on a Politics course and vice versa. You can see what modules universities offer on their websites and they do vary by university however as an example for Politics you may look at Political Theory, UK Politics, US Politics, Russian Politics. IR you may look at IR theory, Globalisation, International Organisations, you may have a standalone module on the EU. Tbh Politics and Law aren't that similar at all, Politics doesn't just mean UK politics and even then it focuses more on the structure and functions of government than the laws of that country.

I really enjoyed it, I found IR theory a bit drab but the rest of it very interesting but that is really down to personal preference. When you say is it worth it what are you hoping to get from it?
    Thanks your answer has really helped me! What I mean when I say is it worth it is that, in terms of employability, is it beneficial? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samihab)
    Thanks your answer has really helped me! What I mean when I say is it worth it is that, in terms of employability, is it beneficial? xx
    As with 98% of degrees it ticks off the 'has a degree box' graduate employers want to tick off, the rest is down to you really- to get work experience, to put together a good application and to perform well at interview.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.