Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Best A level AQA Psychology textbook?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.. I am starting my first year studies for the AQA Psychology A level course in September- I was wondering what the most detailed/best textbook for year 1 would be for someone aiming for a high grade.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Wait and see what your teacher suggests as there's a few new ones for AQA.

I encourage my students to purchase the Green Haired Girl/Pink Haired Girl books as we use them in class.
    And for alternative studies and more concise reading, I personally use the CPG guide.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I know my answer isn't going to be much help to you now but I wouldn't buy any textbooks without asking your teacher about them. There are a lot of psychology textbooks out there but your teacher is definitely the best person to advise you on which to buy. I asked my teacher within a couple of weeks of starting the subject and she was very helpful and gave me a small list of the best ones she recommended for the spec I was completing.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I've read parts of the greenhaired/pinkhairedgirl books, and whilst I think they're good, I don't think they beat the Cardwell/Flanagan book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlotta1134)
    Hi guys.. I am starting my first year studies for the AQA Psychology A level course in September- I was wondering what the most detailed/best textbook for year 1 would be for someone aiming for a high grade.
    Hey, I used both the 'Psychology AS for AQA A' by Cardwell, Clark, Meldrum, etc - very helpful and full of information.
    For an easier read that is summarised well and includes a lot of key information, I used ;The Complete Companion' book by Cardwell and Flanagan.

These books helped me achieve an A grade at AS and also an A grade at A2 just recently this summer

But I strongly suggest you wait and ask your teacher before buying so that you know exactly what specification you are studying (may be a little different this year due to the A-level reforms).

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people are recommending the Cardwell/Flanagan books but sadly these are not AQA Approved. There are two books you can buy for Psychology AS that are AQA approved (link to AQA site to see them)I recommend the green haired girl book which is also written by Cara Flanagan, click here to have a look at it on amazon. It helped me through my AS Psych course, and I'm now doing A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhavik-)
    Lots of people are recommending the Cardwell/Flanagan books but sadly these are not AQA Approved. There are two books you can buy for Psychology AS that are AQA approved (link to AQA site to see them)I recommend the green haired girl book which is also written by Cara Flanagan, click here to have a look at it on amazon. It helped me through my AS Psych course, and I'm now doing A2
    Just because they aren't listed, doesn't mean they aren't approved. Those books are written to the exact specification and are by far the best.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.