Further Maths -A, most likely an A*
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A
    Chemistry - A, potentially an A*
    Physics - A*
    Biology - A*
    Geography - A
    RS - A

These are low predictions, incase something goes wrong in the exams.

I'm just worried that since they're not all A*s, there will be better candidates than myself, and so my application may be discarded.

I will be applying for either Law or Maths (will have decided by the end of next year, since I have time to decide, due to the fact that I haven't yet sat my GCSE's).

Any advice (studying, or in relation to Oxford) would also be greatly appreciated 😊

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you stop worrying. The don't throw away any application. You've got a good set of grades there to get into Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Why would your GCSE predictions matter? By the time you apply you should have your results plus A level predictions, unless I'm missing something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They're are fine as long as your A Levels, personal statement and interview performance are all good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I would recommend you stop worrying. The don't throw away any application. You've got a good set of grades there to get into Oxbridge.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Surely your predictions don't mean anything? It's the results you get in August that matter and even then, anything above 7-8 A* is absolutely fine. They don't really care about GCSEs beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    Those grades seem fine. When I went to an Oxford Conference on Monday 11 July, 12 undergraduate mentors came in and one who went to study Eng Lit at Oxford said she had a few Bs at GCSE. A-Levels are main...and also work experience, personal statement+interview. They look at your GCSEs but as a sidenote (especially if your A-Levels are good they are likely to not take heed of GCSEs so much).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidso)
    As long as you get 7/8 A*s it should be fine to be honest. Also, A Levels (and their equivalent) are taken into account more than GCSEs.

Just keep reading and exploring the subjects you want to take, as that knowledge will show genuine interest and make you stand out more than the grades that a lot of other applicants will be getting.
    Thank you. My headmaster suggested the same, and has lent me a few maths and classics books to study over the holidays 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe21912)
    My predictions are:
    Latin Language - A*
    Latin Literature - A*
    Spanish - A*
    Maths - A*
    Further Maths - A, potentially an A*
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A
    Physics - A*
    Biology - A
    Geography - A
    RS - A

I'm just worried that since they're not all A*s, there will be better candidates than myself, and so my application may be discarded.

I will be applying for either Classics, Law or Maths (will have decided by the end of next year, since I have time to decide, due to the fact that I haven't yet sat my GCSE's).

Any advice (studying, or in relation to Oxford) would also be greatly appreciated 😊
    As long as you're not applying for medicine GCSEs mean very little - provided, of course, that they're not abysmally bad, i.e. if you have no As.

What is much more important is your interview and A level predictions, many with a full set of A*s at GCSEs gets rejected by Oxbridge and many who do not have the best GCSEs get offers.

ReputationRep:
    These arent enough, you need at least 20 A*s to get into oxford.

ReputationRep:
    My predictions are:
    Latin Language - A*
    Latin Literature - A*
    Spanish - A*
    Maths - A*
    Further Maths - A, potentially an A*
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A
    Physics - A*
    Biology - A
    Geography - A
    RS - A

I will be applying for either Classics, Law or Maths (will have decided by the end of next year, since I have time to decide, due to the fact that I haven't yet sat my GCSE's).

Change those "potentially" grades to A* and you will look much stronger. Push for one A* in the English subjects. You're grades are very good although A-Level predictions mean much more (as well as application, further exams such as UKCAT/BMAT and your interview)

Just a quick question: Are you taking the new GCSE examinations for Maths and English?

ReputationRep:
    All A*s, with several As being the worst case scenario? Nah fam there's no way

ReputationRep:
    Those grades are complete rubbish, to get into any Oxbridge university, you need:

At least 27 A*s, don't even think about getting an A or your application will get rejected immediately.

Complete commitment to your subject, the only way you can demonstrate this is by locking yourself in your room and revising 24/7 until 15th October. Don't forget to record every second of that.

They also expect you to have at least 16 extracurricular activities, including windsurfing on Saturday mornings and deep space exploration on Sunday evenings.

You need reliable references, they expect at least one reference from Stephen Hawking and another from a professor from the university. Anything less and guaranteed rejection.

They also require you to have no friends, to get used to the rigorous academic environment you're going into. That means you no longer can talk to any other human being for the rest of your life or your application gets rejected. You'd think I'm joking but UCAS knows everything.

Anyways, best of luck with your application, even though your GCSEs look horrible.

(PS I got 32 A*s for GCSE, with only a weeks revision)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Sarcasm, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    Change those "potentially" grades to A* and you will look much stronger. Push for one A* in the English subjects. You're grades are very good although A-Level predictions mean much more (as well as application, further exams such as UKCAT/BMAT and your interview)

Just a quick question: Are you taking the new GCSE examinations for Maths and English?
    Yes. Im going for a 9 (top grade) in maths, and my english teacher says that i should get an 8 in eng lang and a 9 in lit, however id rather say im going to get lower grades, simply on the off-chance that something goes horribly wrong during the exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Im going for a 9 (top grade) in maths, and my english teacher says that i should get an 8 in eng lang and a 9 in lit, however id rather say im going to get lower grades, simply on the off-chance that something goes horribly wrong during the exams.
    You shouldn't be too worried Chloe. As a student who will also sit my GCSE exams next year it's great to see someone with grades similar to mine.

All the best with getting those grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    You shouldn't be too worried Chloe. As a student who will also sit my GCSE exams next year it's great to see someone with grades similar to mine.

All the best with getting those grades.
    Thank you, and to you too! 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.