Cello's Summer Bucket List!

Watch
celloel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I'm not going anywhere this summer, and so I have a good long 8 weeks in which to do anything. Considering last year I spent the entire time working I thought I'd use this thread to give me a kick to do some productive and creative things!

Because this is TSR, I'll include some academic goals this summer, but mostly I'll be looking to enjoy myself before college starts again in September (and to distract myself from the looming results day! )

2016 Summer List:

Finished! Currently doing Not started yet

Write about one prompt from the '642 things to write about' book per day
Spoiler:
Show
I have a book filled with funny/silly things to write about - I want to do one of them each day. I am by no means a good writer, but it's something I enjoy!
Day 1 - Each decade of my life as a pop song
Day 2 - 'Death is like...'
Day 3 - Break-up with your high school sweetheart via letter
Day 4 - You are the sweetheart - respond
Day 5 - 'An hour to go...'
Create a scrapbook of everything I do over summer
Spoiler:
Show
I love the idea of scrapbooking but have never done it, so I think recording this scrapbook will be perfect! I'll update with random pages I like every so often, and I'll show the end with the final blog post
- See my title page and a 2 page spread on Day 2
Create a mini-sketchbook for summer
Spoiler:
Show
I love drawing, but I'm not good at it! I want to make a little sketchbook for summer, filled with drawings or anything else I want to do. My goal is 30 drawings by the end of summer :-)
Try to learn some Spanish
Spoiler:
Show
This is my maternal grandmother's native language! I'll be using Duolingo to do 15 minutes a day and will update on my progress every now and again.
Paint or draw a picture on a canvas
Spoiler:
Show
I'm still awful and drawing but I love to do it!
Return the library books I've had for 2 years ()
Spoiler:
Show
It's a long story , hopefully this will be the kick I need to finally return them
Do a DIY project
Spoiler:
Show
There are tonnes online I want to do, so time to do it
I built a terrarium on Day 5
Start learning to drive
Spoiler:
Show
I turned 17 a few days ago, so this summer will be spent learning how to get the hang of driving.
Learn about my progress on Day 4
Do my theory test
Spoiler:
Show
I wrote about this on Day 1!
Write one thousand words toward a novel
Spoiler:
Show
I've been slowly but surely writing a book (all in good fun) over a few years, so I want to add to it as much as possible this summer. I'm not good at writing, but I love doing it!
Finish learning Bach's Prelude
Spoiler:
Show
My favourite cello piece
Read in the park with my dog
Spoiler:
Show
My doggy loves the park, and I love it too
Go geocaching
Spoiler:
Show
This is something I'm super excited about! Geocaching looks amazing, and there are loads around where I live, so I'll be out searching for them as much as I can!
Watch the 2016 Olympic Gymnastics competitions
Spoiler:
Show
I love watching gymnastics and I am very excited for Rio
Do a barbecue for my family
Spoiler:
Show
My parents are working on our garden, and it's looking lovely, so I want to treat everyone and have an excuse to use it!
Go to Hampton Court Palace
Spoiler:
Show
I've wanted to go here for years but never have, so I'll take a trip up there to visit
Track down and buy a print of my favourite painting
Spoiler:
Show
My favourite painting is 'The Starry Night' by Vincent Van Gogh, so I'd love to have a print in my room
I got the painting on Day 3!
Go on a picnic
Spoiler:
Show
Love picnics, love the woods, love food!
Earn the 'Rio medal' from my running club
Spoiler:
Show
It looks amazing - you have to do 5 different sports in August to qualify. Give me!
Buy college stuff for second year
Spoiler:
Show
I love stationary shopping
Start reading my A2 History textbooks
Spoiler:
Show
Get a head start for next year
Write 1,000 words on a Ted Hughes poem
Spoiler:
Show
Coursework
Read Atonement by Ian McEwan
Spoiler:
Show
For coursework again!
Write my personal statement
Spoiler:
Show
I'm applying to University this Autumn, so this needs to get done!
Lost some weight, aim for 10 pounds!
Spoiler:
Show
I've somehow gained a lot of weight over the last year and would like to try and lose some. Over summer I'll post some updates on how I'm doing!
Finish first section for IT coursework
Spoiler:
Show
Getting a head start
Follow what I'm doing each day!
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5
celloel
Rep:
?
Day 1 - 16/07
Today was a great day! I have ticked off one of the major things I wanted to finish this summer, which was to:

Take my theory test - Completed!

And I passed! I'm very happy with this and glad it's out of the way, so I just need to focus on passing my practical next (but that's for much later ) Excuse the black scribbles on the certificate, I didn't want to reveal my name!
Spoiler:
Show
I also started my 'daily' summer goal, which is to write about one of the prompts in the '642 things to write about book'. - Completed for 16/07

Today I wrote about 'If each decade of your life was a song, what would they be' (it was actually a 'pop song', but I don't really listen to pop, so I cheekily crossed that one out. I've only actually been alive in three decades, so it was quite a short list
Spoiler:
Show
celloel
Rep:
?
Day 2 - 17/07
Today was quite a chilled out day. I know it's only 3pm, but I'm about to head out for the evening and I won't be able to update later on! I spent the day relaxing at home, which was lovely, and felt a bit creative, so I decided to get started on my Summer scrapbook. I've never done scrapbooking before, so I had to do a little bit of research as to how to decorate it, etc! I bought supplies a little while back, so I had plenty to get kickstarted with.

Create a summer scrapbook - In progress
I got started on the scrapbook by making a 'title page' and also creating a double page spread for a day out I had back in June, which was to Goodwood Festival of Speed. If you don't know what that is it's basically a car racing event that's quite popular. I've put in space to write about the day, but I wanted to keep that private, so I took the photos before I'd written in them
Spoiler:
Show
Title Page:ImageGoodwood FOS Spread:
Write one prompt a day - Completed for 17/07
Today I wrote about 'describing death'. A little morbid, and I had some trouble writing this one, so I just decided to write about death as something restful/peaceful, as that's how I personally see it.
Spoiler:
Show
celloel
Rep:
?
Day 3 - 18/07
I took all of my photos yesterday but completely forgot to update the blog! So I'll just post two - one for each day. Yesterday was lovely! I went into town and sold an old games console I had to make a bit of money, then I got the painting I've been wanting for such a long time. It's absolutely beautiful and very famous - The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh.

Track down and buy a print of my favourite painting - Completed
Van Gogh painted the view from the window of his asylum room, in which he admitted himself to after cutting his left ear. It's a beautiful piece and my absolute favourite. I took a photo of it hanging up in my room above my bed!
Spoiler:
Show
Write one prompt a day - Completed for 18/07
A little less sad than yesterday, but still a bit emotional. The prompt asked to write a break-up letter to your high school sweetheart in the Army. I'm enjoying writing these little prompts, despite my responses being quite awful.
Spoiler:
Show
celloel
Rep:
?
Day 4 - 19/07
We're in the middle of a heatwave! It's been around 30-31 degrees here each day - absolutely lovely. I wanted to do either the picnic or barbecue today, as we certainly have the weather for it, but didn't get around to it. I did however tick off another thing on my bucket list, which is to learn to drive!

Learn to drive :auto: - Completed
I know this is a fairly difficult thing to tick, but I'm defining 'learn to drive' as getting a hold of the basics - which I've finally managed to do. I have my own car - a mini, my absolute favourite car make (I know, I'm incredibly lucky) - so I've been getting a lot of practice in. I'm getting much better at clutch control, going around roundabouts (I never knew they were so odd) and getting just general driving practice in. 30mph feels fast when I'm behind the wheel, which is ridiculous, but I also love doing it! Driving is quickly becoming something I look forward to doing each day/every other day, which is good and I hope that feeling won't wear out. I took a couple of photos in my car. I know nobody is in the seat next to me in the photos, but I'm parked - don't worry, I had a qualified driver with me
Spoiler:
Show
Write one prompt a day - Completed for 19/07
I quite liked today's prompt - it was a response to yesterday's! It was asking for the dumped high school sweetheart's response - I decided to go for a slightly angry John trying to 'brush' it off. Absolutely love this book and would definitely recommend it!
Spoiler:
Show
celloel
Rep:
?
Day 5 - 20/07
It's still very hot here, so I didn't do too much as I didn't want to be out in the sun (the little bit I was out in I got sunburnt from!) I also had a driving lesson today, which was very fun, and I went on roundabouts for the first time
I decided to do a relaxing/fun bucket list today, which was to do the DIY project. I've been planning this one for a while, and bought the things I needed yesterday to be able to do it.

Do a DIY project - Completed
I created a terrarium! If you don't know what it is, it's a sort of enclosed pot that contains plants & it goes inside - a silly explanation, but that's roughly it. I chose alpines to go inside of it before I'd got the terrarium in the post, and it was a lot smaller than I thought, so I only put one in. I've taken a before photo (I had all 3 plants there to decide which one to put in) and a photo when it was all done! I'm very happy with how it all worked out.
Spoiler:
Show
Before
After
Write one prompt a day - Completed for 20/07
Today's prompt was simply 'An hour to go...', which obviously has a lot of different interpretations. I decided to go for the most obvious, which was that the narrator had an hour left to live, for whatever reason. A little sad again, but I still enjoyed having a go at writing it!
Spoiler:
Show
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.41%
I'm not sure (45)
4.32%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (310)
29.78%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (509)
48.9%

Watched Threads