The Student Room Group

C3 functions

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C3/2012-January/paper.php#Q7

7c how can i do this? usually you put in the domain of the original function to give you the range which is the domain of the inverse but in this case i can't do that because you can't do any number0\dfrac{any\ number}{0} so how can i do this one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigdonger
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C3/2012-January/paper.php#Q7

7c how can i do this? usually you put in the domain of the original function to give you the range which is the domain of the inverse but in this case i can't do that because you can't do any number0\dfrac{any\ number}{0} so how can i do this one?

What's the range of f(x)?
Reply 2

look at behaviour of f as x gets closer and closer to 1/2
Reply 3
The domain of the inverse function is the same as the range of the original function.
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
What's the range of f(x)?

that's my point how can i do that? usually i would put 0.5 into f(x) but that doesn't work because you can't have 1/0 it doesn't work so how can i have a range for this?

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
look at behaviour of f as x gets closer and closer to 1/2

if i put 1 in i get 1 out
if i put -1 in i get -1 out
if i put 1/4 in i get -2 out
if i put 1/3 in i get -3 out
if i put in 0.4 i get -5 out
if i put 0.45 in i get -10 out
if i put in 3/4 in i get 2 out
if i put 0.55 in i get 10 out

i can't see anything besides the fact tat when i get closer to 0.5 the range seems to be infinitely huge
[QUOTE=bigdonger;66453208]that's my point how can i do that? usually i would put 0.5 into f(x) but that doesn't work because you can't have 1/0 it doesn't work so how can i have a range for this?

i can't see anything besides the fact tat when i get closer to 0.5 the range seems to be infinitely huge

But that's exactly it. Range is everything real except 0.5.
Reply 6
Original post by B_9710
The domain of the inverse function is the same as the range of the original function.

I did just say this in my original post >.>
But that's exactly it. Range is everything real except 0.5.

No that's the domain which is stated in the question....
Reply 7
I did just say this in my original post >.>

No that's the domain which is stated in the question....

Sketch the graph then if you can't immediately find the range of f.
Reply 8
that's my point how can i do that? usually i would put 0.5 into f(x) but that doesn't work because you can't have 1/0 it doesn't work so how can i have a range for this?

Exactly, the range has no upper bound, only a lower bound, can you see what it is?
Reply 9
Original post by B_9710
Sketch the graph then if you can't immediately find the range of f.

ewww i hate sketching graphs especially stuff like this
Exactly, the range has no upper bound, only a lower bound, can you see what it is?

i'm sure it doesnt have an upper or lower bound... if i put in numbers close but smaller than 0.5 i get big negative values if i put in numbers closer but bigger than 0.5 i get bit positive numbers so i'm not seeing anything here apart from the range could be something stupidly high
Reply 10
ewww i hate sketching graphs especially stuff like this

i'm sure it doesnt have an upper or lower bound... if i put in numbers close but smaller than 0.5 i get big negative values if i put in numbers closer but bigger than 0.5 i get bit positive numbers so i'm not seeing anything here apart from the range could be something stupidly high

But x > 1/2, read part a) again
edit: well not part a, start of the question
Reply 11
But x > 1/2, read part a) again
edit: well not part a, start of the question

ah so what comes out the otherside are just ridiculously huge numbers
[QUOTE=bigdonger;66453380]ewww i hate sketching graphs especially stuff like this

Okay you are confusing me. Here's what's what. For original; domain x>0.5, range y>0. So for inverse the domain will be X>0
Reply 13
Okay you are confusing me. Here's what's what. For original; domain x>0.5, range y>0. So for inverse the domain will be X>0

wat where does y.0 come from... ?????????????
wat where does y.0 come from... ?????????????

That's the range...
Perhaps watch the exam solutions vid on the questions...

He explains it pretty well
Reply 16
That's the range...

and where does it come from?
[QUOTE=bigdonger;66453592]and where does it come from?

Look at the equation. Nothing will make it equal 0 because numerator is 1 hence it cannot be equal 0. From the domain you can work out whether it is more or less than 0
Reply 18
Original post by hellomynameisr
Perhaps watch the exam solutions vid on the questions...

He explains it pretty well

i don't want to draw a graph everytime i have one of these questions, it takes too long
Look at the equation. Nothing will make it equal 0 because numerator is 1 hence it cannot be equal 0. From the domain you can work out whether it is more or less than 0

ok sounds good
Reply 19
i don't want to draw a graph everytime i have one of these questions, it takes too long

You should practice your graph-sketching skills then, simple ones like these shouldn't be taking "too long", once you have some intuition and understanding down, then you can stop drawing graphs everytime you have one of these questions, for now - draw the graphs, seriously.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest