Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The anti-AllLivesMatter 'burning house' analogy is dumb and misleading. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I keep seeing this stupid analogy used in an attempt to discredit #AllLivesMatter:

Except what's dumb about this image is that both houses are actually burning, and the whole point of #AllLivesMatter is that we should be applying water to both, not just one. But the image depicts the opposite.

And the irony here is that #BlackLivesMatter wants all the water on its burning house and evidently doesn't care much about the other one (or even believe that it's burning too).

This past year there have been many more white and Hispanic people killed by police, armed and unarmed. But their stories have barely been circulated at all in the media, despite often being killed under circumstances similar to the popular African American cases.

And before you point out that blacks are killed disproportionately to their overall US population percentage, you must also remember that they commit crime disproportionately and are more likely to live in high-crime cities and neighbourhoods. Hence the increased likelihood of police encounters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    I keep seeing this stupid analogy used in an attempt to discredit #AllLivesMatter:

It's being used to discredit AllLivesMatter because ALM is insensitive to black people and their supporters who have suffered unnecessarily through racist violence. There are people who are still victims of racism in this day and age that suffer through this, and throwing something in to try and eliminate the one thing that they have as a campaign is racist.

Except what's dumb about this image is that both houses are actually burning, and the whole point of #AllLivesMatter is that we should be applying water to both, not just one. But the image depicts the opposite.
    The idea is that there are two people who use ALM; first are those who are actually being insensitive and trying to discredit the BLM movement, this seems much more common as the hashtag spreads and the movement grows. In this case, the image depicts exactly what is happening. Secondly, there are people using it to be caring to all people, white, black, hispanic, asian. I think this is what you think what ALM is. This image depicts what ALM actually is very well as they would claim to support all people, including black people, whilst discrediting the movement of BLM.

And the irony here is that #BlackLivesMatter wants all the water on its burning house and evidently doesn't care much about the other one (or even believe that it's burning too).
    I'm going to assume you know what the "Black Lives Matter" version of this image would be, so I'll respond as if the image was the same in that scenario:

That's because the movement is BlackLivesMatter, it's for BLACK people who are suffering through violence. If the circumstances were different and it was WhiteLivesMatter, you'd want for the group to support WHITE people. I'm sure the large proportion, of BLM people support every other race's lives, but the movement is designed just for black people.

This past year there have been many more white and Hispanic people killed by police, armed and unarmed. But their stories have barely been circulated at all in the media, despite often being killed under circumstances similar to the popular African American cases.
    Source me.

And before you point out that blacks are killed disproportionately to their overall US population percentage, you must also remember that they commit crime disproportionately and are more likely to live in high-crime cities and neighbourhoods. Hence the increased likelihood of police encounters.
    The BLM movement supports moreso black people who have been victims of unnecessary police encounters or unnecessary shootings by police. Recent cases of a black person reaching into their pocket to get a wallet or someone simply shouting 'He's got a gun' are enough for police to shoot them. Yes, you are going to get genuinely violent black people, like the Dallas shooter, just like you will white people or asian people or whatever, but innocent black lives shouldn't be lost.

I'll also make a point that, if you are for AllLivesMatter, you should be just as much for BlackLivesMatter. This is the point that is made through the image above, as people in AllLivesMatter, using it with intent, do not seem to care about black lives, and just want to be racist with that movement.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.