Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the course i want to do in a particular uni rquires AS and A level physics which i have not done, so im thinking of taking a gap year and doing A level physics, does anyone know if it is possible to do AS and A level physics within one year and if yes where?. ive lookd at ICS and other distance learning stuff, but i would prefer if it was a teacher student kind of set up.
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If a college would take you, maybe look over AS in the summer so you can start A2 work in September, then do the AS and A2 exams in January/June as appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS and A2 maths in a year, as well as my other 3 subjects at A2. I looked over the AS stuff and joined the A2 class straight off. So yeah, it is possible, I quite enjoyed it actually

ReputationRep:
    thanks the two of you for replying.
    sopheeb, did u sit the AS module exams of maths without any teachin, by just learning it yourself, thats quite impressive dont knw if i can do that with physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sopheeb)
    I did AS and A2 maths in a year, as well as my other 3 subjects at A2. I looked over the AS stuff and joined the A2 class straight off. So yeah, it is possible, I quite enjoyed it actually
    Maths is different because loads of people do Maths AS and A2 in one year which tells you the course isn't that difficult and that there isn't a lot to learn. Maths is a subject that requires understanding rather than learning facts. Physics is a combination of both.

I'm sure you could just get a private tutor and it won't be too difficult because it is only one subject as you will be devoting all your studying time to it.

ReputationRep:
    ihave registered in a few tutor finding agencies, waiting for their reply.
    one thing i dont understand is how i will do all the courseworks and practicals without any lab and stuff. i wont be going to school so no labs.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I did AS and A2 English Lit this year at my local college, was taught for both classes. Had already completed 2 years of sixth form but didnt enjoy any of the subjects I did.

I simply phoned the college and they put me through to the head of department, who said he'd be happy to take me on.

Probably the best educational decision I have ever made, really enjoyed it and I'll hopefully be doing it at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaanY)
    why get a tutor when you can just buy a couple of revision books AS + A2 relevant to your board and do past papers galore?

im not going to school or anything, ive just finishd my four A levels. so just revision books wont be enough, i need sumone to teach me physics to sit the exam.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely possible- all you'd need to do is find an exam centre that will accept you as a private candidate. Personally I'd do AS in January and A2 in June. I have no idea how practicals and coursework would work, but I'd imagine you'd need to sort that out with the centre. If you don't feel capable of teaching yourself with just textbooks, revision guides, the syllabus and past papers, get a tutor. If it's your only subject, it shouldn't be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    hey you are in india so worry not. i'm doing in india too. its in chennai , which part of india are you ? and the school tat im studying in offers A levels and ya you can do physics in one year, cause my classmates have done them in a year. wanna know abt the school? check out the british international school in chennai !

ReputationRep:
    I did the AS with pretty much no teaching, except the boyfriend helped me get started with calculus. This was after a year of no science subjects too, everyone thought I was mad (probably right). Go for it! Even better if you can find someone to teach you everything properly. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    a friend of mine took a year out and did AS an A level physics in a year at bifhe (belfast institute of further and higher education) he said it was do-able.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    ok i found a college near me that does A level in a term wat do people think of dat good? or is it too much?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can
    You have to consider that you now have only one subject to focus on.
    I am going to uni to read law and doing further maths for fun.

If you want it enough, i believe that there is a way.

Good luck with physics

ReputationRep:
    How about Psychology? How do-able is AS & A2 Psychology at the same time for a reasonably intelligent mature student?

ReputationRep:
    Well, there is a LOT to learn/remember, but if you're not doing any other A Levels at the same time I'm sure it could be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogger71)
    How about Psychology? How do-able is AS & A2 Psychology at the same time for a reasonably intelligent mature student?
    Easy enough concepts, but LOADS to remember. Doable though, if it's your only subject.

ReputationRep:
    I had a couple friends who did it in Geology and Geography, it often quite benificial if the teacher is wise, because then he can compliment their lesson plans, and basically make it easier for you to remember stuff.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.