Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I may be being very dense here, but should I remove the thin film over the screen on the back or leave it on?

its up to you really. wont do any harm with it on and may protect the screen. but it can reflect light horribly and piss you off (well it does me)

ReputationRep:
    are there good safe ways to claen the screen if I take it off?

yea there are all kinds of solutions you can get for it. but gernerally they dont get dirty enough so a quick wipe down with a fibre free cloth is enough

ReputationRep:
    You mean the film that covers the LCD screen when you get it new?

If so, you could leave it on but it'll eventually start to fall off, get dirty and annoy you. If it was me, I'd take it off.

You can buy screen protectors that do a similar job (protecting from dust/water droplets etc.) but fit perfectly rather then having the pull-off tab flapping around.

Alternatively SLR cameras usually have a plastic cover that can clip on the back to protect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    are there good safe ways to claen the screen if I take it off?
    You can get special cleaning packs but usually a micro-fibre cloth should do the job - sometimes you get sunglasses in little bags - these are usually micro-fibre and can be used to clean the screen and the lens. If the bag is dirty, turn it inside out to do the cleaning.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'll take it off--is it essential to by screen protectors or is the screen fairly robust?

ive never bothered with one. depends how you will be using it i suppose. just get a good case

ReputationRep:
    the only device i ever left the screen protector on was my phone, cause i just keep it in my pocket. admittedly my camera doesn't need a screen protector vbecause the screen folds away, but my parents digital camera has been thrown all over the place and the screen is still perfectly readable.

ReputationRep:
    Also wtf is 'exposure compensation'?

it will adjust the exposure time depending on the amount of light the camera picks up.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'll take it off--is it essential to by screen protectors or is the screen fairly robust?
    I wouldn't bother with a screen protector - as long as you are sensible with your camera - keep it in a case / don't leave it out on a beach / don't leave it screen down etc. it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    so what does setting exposure copmpensation to -2, or +2 at the other end of the scal, actually change?

ReputationRep:
    M<ust get a case, none included

the amount of light it lets in i think. google it the first result wil explain it much better

ReputationRep:
    Also do the batteries run down according ot no. of pics taken, not to time?

ReputationRep:
    You can pick up a case pretty easily enough, there pretty cheap unless you want some high-end-cooks-the-tea-job but the basic ones are just as good.

I never leave those stupid little plastic things on they annoy the hell out of me. Iv had my camera almost a year now and there not a scratch on it and its been thrown around quite a bit!

both really, they will run down over time but the more you use it the more battery it uses

ReputationRep:
    Also do the batteries run down according ot no. of pics taken, not to time?
    well as you take pictures, it wears the battery down, but the screen and motors do as well, so if you use the screen and zoom in and out a lot before each shot (if you have optical zoom) you'll wear the battery down far quicker than if you just took loads of pictures is quick succession.

ReputationRep:
    Also wtf is 'exposure compensation'?
    When you use the P (program/automatic) mode on your camera, when you take a picture it will look at the light conditions of the area you are taking a photo of and set the shutter speed and aperture to what it thinks will make a good photo.

However, the camera may it wrong - snowy scenes are often metered incorrectly for example. This is where you use exposure compensation to correct the exposure. You tell the camera to expose the image more (+) or less (-) than what the camera thinks is right.

Therefore if the image is coming out over exposed (areas are white and have lost detail), reduce the exposure compensation. If the image is under exposed (subject is too dark and has lost detail), increase over the exposure compensation.

A better way to achieve what exposure compensation does in this context, would be to switch to manual mode and set the aperture and shutter speed yourself.

Exposure compensation also comes up when you use bracketing. Which is when a sequence of photos (usually 3) is taken each time you press the shutter release - one under exposed, one at the cameras metered values and one over exposed. The idea being you can pick the best exposure for the scene.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.