The Student Room Group

Which degree should I do?

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do for a job, but doing research into diseases and creating medicine sounds interesting, I'm not sure what degree that would require though. I've been told I should do medicine or synthetic chemistry, does anyone have a job in those sort of areas and if so what degree did you do? Thanks :smile: also just in general what is a medical degree like, how much independent studying do you have to do, is it particularly difficult or interesting?
Original post by GenericPerson2
I'm not 100% sure what I want to do for a job, but doing research into diseases and creating medicine sounds interesting, I'm not sure what degree that would require though. I've been told I should do medicine or synthetic chemistry, does anyone have a job in those sort of areas and if so what degree did you do? Thanks :smile:

"Research into diseases" is a very broad term. A sociology graduate who works in public health is researching into diseases. So does a lab scientist with a PhD in biochemistry. So does a medical doctor who runs trials for new medications in a hospital.

It would be more useful to think about what kind of setting you'd like to work in. In a lab? Would you want to have direct patient contact? At a governmental or policy making level?

Creating medicines generally falls under the remit of scientists with a background in medicinal chemistry, but scientists from a wide variety of different backgrounds are involved in drug manufacturing and pharmaceuticals.
Original post by Democracy
"Research into diseases" is a very broad term. A sociology graduate who works in public health is researching into diseases. So does a lab scientist with a PhD in biochemistry. So does a medical doctor who runs trials for new medications in a hospital.

It would be more useful to think about what kind of setting you'd like to work in. In a lab? Would you want to have direct patient contact? At a governmental or policy making level?

Creating medicines generally falls under the remit of scientists with a background in medicinal chemistry, but scientists from a wide variety of different backgrounds are involved in drug manufacturing and pharmaceuticals.

Patient contact would be great, I don't mind working in a lab but ideally I wouldn't want to be stuck in there all day. I asked because there are so many degrees and I want to be sure to do the right one so that I can do things such as look into diseases in a lab or hospital setting. (I know it's a broad term, I'm trying to get some work experience so I can determine exactly what I can do in the future).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending