Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I was put into a work experience placement at a Primary school very late, as in 3 days before I was supposed to do it. Unfortunately it was on a Friday, and I start on the Monday after. Today is Saturday.

Of course I've emailed them, but still no reply and I need to have an interview with them. I have a phone number but because it's the weekend nobody will answer until Monday, the day I have to go. I know where it is, and the time I need to be there but now I'm worried I'll turn up and they won't know what to do with me.

So, should I still go?

I have had an actual job before this, for 2 months in a fish and chip shop, but I left due to exams and I needed the revision time. Would this be an okay enough excuse not to do it?

Please help!!

ReputationRep:
    It's not clear on what the excuse is? Is this work experience that you do in Year 10/11/12/13?

You know where to go and what time to be there - what's the problem?

Work experience isn't about what they will do with you, it's about what you want to gain from the experience. What do you want to take away from it? Is there anything you want to do in particular? Go in with your own goals and be a little bit proactive with your life.

ReputationRep:
    It's for year 10 experience, and I'm quote wprried considering all I had to go on was the address and the phone number, as well as the dates. I have no uniform codes, lunch details, hours working there (other friends of mine start at 8 and finish at 5 so that's as close to a guess that I have) or what I'm actually mean't to do with all considered that teaching young children was nor my choice, it was working with software.

I'm just worried I'll make a fool of myself, or as I've stated, they won't know I'm coming because that was what happend with my previous placement, they had no clue they had agreed to take me on, which is why they gave me the placement so late.

ReputationRep:
    If it was arranged just last week, in all likelihood, the school knows you are coming. I'd say wires are more likely to be crossed when things are arranged in advance whereas there is little chance of them being crossed when the question is 'can s/he start on Monday?'. As your placement was arranged at such a late point in the week, there won't have been time for the school to provide your school with any information beyond what time you should arrive. What time have you been asked to arrive? Does it give you time to call the school in the morning to verify that they are expecting you?

Regarding working hours, I'm sure it will all be explained to you tomorrow, but it is very unlikely that you will be expected to be there any earlier than half-an-hour before the start of the school day or stay more than an hour after the end of the school day. You might even get to leave as soon as all the children have gone home - it depends on the school. Your lunch break will be at the same time as the children's lunch break.

As for the dress code, you have mentioned that you need to be interviewed. For the first day, you should therefore dress for an interview. They will probably explain to you what their dress policy is tomorrow, but primary schools tend to be smart casual, which, if you are female, essentially means no short skirts, jeans or low cut tops. Some schools also don't like bare shoulders/arms, so dress conservatively. If you are male, it's simply smart trousers and a shirt.

Don't worry about what you will be doing - it won't be anything difficult. Even if this had been arranged in a more timely manner, they probably wouldn't have been able to give you precise details because it depends on what the teachers need help with. As it is the last few days before the summer holidays, you might be asked to help get the classroom ready for next year otherwise you will mainly be setting things up for lessons and supporting children. They won't be doing anything too significant at this point - don't be surprised if they watch a film on one of the days!

Go into this placement with an open mind and a willingness to learn - you may unexpectedly find that teaching is the career for you! If not, it will nevertheless allow you to strengthen your communication, teamwork and other transferable skills. It will therefore be a valuable experience even though you have had a job before and it is not the career path you have in mind for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the placement and roll with the punch. Teachers must be adaptable and resilient. You are being tested in a subtle way.

Good luck and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Go to the placement and roll with the punch. Teachers must be adaptable and resilient. You are being tested in a subtle way.

Good luck and have fun!
    Thanks! I start this morning, so fingers crossed!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.