The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering vs Chemical Engineering

Both are amazing courses

What course is in higher demand and what is the likelihood to get a job for these two courses?

Basically, which course is better?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Chemical Engineering
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Chemical Engineering

how come?
Original post by dcstudent999
how come?

My friend's brother did a degree and a master in it. He got a job in one of saudi arabia oil plants:u: So...?
Chemical
Chemical engineering
It has more options to diversify ,you can make a lot more money and its more interesting in my opinion.
Both jobs have equal opportunities in my opinion.Construction is going to increase in the developing world over the coming century and regeneration projects will probably increase in America and Europe,so I can see more civil engineers needed.
But this increase in development will need more chemical engineers to help make the raw materials and do other valuable work.
My friend's brother did a degree and a master in it. He got a job in one of saudi arabia oil plants:u: So...?

sounds so cool working in such a large scale industry
sounds so cool working in such a large scale industry

He was half saudi so... and he got a job with Aramco :smile:
He was half saudi so... and he got a job with Aramco :smile:

While the pay is very good,the country seems to be very strict,so what does he do for leisure ?
Is he not bored ?
Original post by Kadak
Chemical engineering
It has more options to diversify ,you can make a lot more money and its more interesting in my opinion.
Both jobs have equal opportunities in my opinion.Construction is going to increase in the developing world over the coming century and regeneration projects will probably increase in America and Europe,so I can see more civil engineers needed.
But this increase in development will need more chemical engineers to help make the raw materials and do other valuable work.

yeah I see what you mean, I am from the UK, and it seems that the manufacturing side of things here are sharply declining. Is this kind of reminiscent of the demand for Chemical Engineers?
Original post by Kadak
While the pay is very good,the country seems to be very strict,so what does he do for leisure ?
Is he not bored ?

i think its near jeddah the oil mine, and jeddah is much more relax. Some of the young people have pool parties *on private property* with no alcohol ofcourse. 90% of my friends are saudi not all are religious :biggrin:
yeah I see what you mean, I am from the UK, and it seems that the manufacturing side of things here are sharply declining. Is this kind of reminiscent of the demand for Chemical Engineers?

Maybe manufacturing ,but other roles like processing,pharmaceuticals,synthetic biology,food processing,etc. there is still load sof jobs for chemical engineers here in UK.
i think its near jeddah the oil mine, and jeddah is much more relax. Some of the young people have pool parties *on private property* with no alcohol ofcourse. 90% of my friends are saudi not all are religious :biggrin:

Are you Saudi yourself ?
Never knew,I assume the religious police dont know :teehee:.
Yeah we know,the country has almost a million atheists !
Original post by Kadak
Are you Saudi yourself ?
Never knew,I assume the religious police dont know :teehee:.
Yeah we know,the country has almost a million atheists !

No i'm Somali and live in the UK. There are few people from the gulf here :smile:
No i'm Somali and live in the UK. There are few people from the gulf here :smile:

Oh,cool.I don`t think I ever had a somali friend before.You Somali girls can be very cute at times :colondollar:.
Is Pirates of the Carribean your favourite movie by any chance :colone:?

Spoiler

Original post by Kadak
Oh,cool.I don`t think I ever had a somali friend before.You Somali girls can be very cute at times :colondollar:.
Is Pirates of the Carribean your favourite movie by any chance :colone:?

Spoiler

Not to boast but i've been told by someone i'm one of the best looking somali girls :tongue: they've seen
Nah my fav movie is Captain Philips :colone:
Both are amazing courses

What course is in higher demand and what is the likelihood to get a job for these two courses?

Basically, which course is better?

If you're looking at things purely in terms of getting a job at the end of it, the stats from the class of 2014* indicated that civil was marginally better for employment overall, with more actually going into engineering jobs than chemical.

Certainly, if you look at the big engineering consultancies and civil contractors, there seems to be a lot of recruiting in that area at the moment. Roads, water and other infrastructure looks like it's currently getting a lot of investment.

Of course this may all change by the time you graduate. During the financial crisis at the end of last decade, civil was perhaps the hardest hit, for example, and chemical seemed okay as developing countries were still buying commodities.

*From Unistats
(edited 7 years ago)
Not to boast but i've been told by someone i'm one of the best looking somali girls :tongue: they've seen
Nah my fav movie is Captain Philips :colone:

Oh really? Stop teasing me :innocent::fan:.Well princess or may I call you your highness,I await your royal introduction on post a picture of yourself thread :biggrin::wink:.
I guess we should stop,we are derailing the thread:redface:.
Original post by Kadak
Oh really? Stop teasing me :innocent::fan:.Well princess or may I call you your highness,I await your royal introduction on post a picture of yourself thread :biggrin::wink:.
I guess we should stop,we are derailing the thread:redface:.

pm me
and 'post picture of yourself thread' i'm saving my looks for my husband :redface:
I vote civil engineering. Purely because all 5 chemical engineers I know had to become teachers. The civil engineers I know went on to actually find jobs in their field.

That and oil is running out in about 40 years. You won't have retired by then.

Quick Reply

Latest