Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing all my A-levels next year, in Year 12. I've heard that some universities want you to do a certain number of A-levels within the normal time period. Does anyone know if this is the case for Oxbridge? If not, for which universities is it the case? I want to study maths.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    It's the same for all universities. They expect you do do three A-levels over two years. You will get no special treatment if you do them early.

ReputationRep:
    So does that mean that they will treat your application less favourably if you don't do at least 3 of your A-levels over two years?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)
    So does that mean that they will treat your application less favourably if you don't do at least 3 of your A-levels over two years?
    It will disadvantage you in the sense you are doubling your workload and therefore at risk of not getting the best marks. They also won't give any allowance for doing them earlier than normal.

It's not how fast you do A-levels, it's how well you do them.

Are you also doing BMO?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)
    I'm thinking of doing all my A-levels next year, in Year 12. I've heard that some universities want you to do a certain number of A-levels within the normal time period. Does anyone know if this is the case for Oxbridge? If not, for which universities is it the case? I want to study maths.

Thanks in advance
    Any particular reason why you want to do it that way ?
    Maths at Cambridge is one of the most competitive courses and you need the top notch grades. If you're 100% confident you can achieve it even you do all of them a year early & in one year, that's fine. But they will not give you a brownie point for doing that way if your grades are less than impressive.

And if you've just finished GCSEs, you need to know there's a huge gap between the level of GCSE subjects and A-level subjects. They're much much more demanding than any school work you've done so far. There's a good reason why a-level courses are done in two years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.