Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im starting uni doing maths and computing in september but my uni loan doesnt cover my rent or living costs so ive secured myself a job 3 days a week (about 8 hours a day). I need to get a first class degree. Do you think having a job will affect my grades. And does 1st year count, could i work full time first year?

ReputationRep:
    Im wanting to know the same !

How stressful is it and how many hours working would be advantageous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALEXIS120)
    Hey, Im starting uni doing maths and computing in september but my uni loan doesnt cover my rent or living costs so ive secured myself a job 3 days a week (about 8 hours a day). I need to get a first class degree. Do you think having a job will affect my grades. And does 1st year count, could i work full time first year?
    3 days a week is definitley a bit much, even for first year. Whilst at many unis your first year marks don't count, you still need to complete all coursework and exams and achieve at least 40% and you are still expected to attend all lectures/labs/seminars/tutiorials- some unis are particularly strict about this and can dock marks or even threaten to throw people off the course for regular non attendance. Then on top of that its really daft if you are planning to pay £9k to regularly skip classes at least one day a week. If you are that worried about money that you need to work 3 days a week then defer, work for a year and save up. The max I would do is 2 days, and none of the hours should clash with your contact hours.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be working 10 hours a week (6 of which on Saturday) at a Tesco about 200m from the uni campus. Will not be taking on any extra overtime unless essential!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how well you manage your time. I worked part-time throughout my degree and it helped me to be more focused on academic work. If I didn't work, I would have definitely drifted and got distracted with free time all day in between lectures/seminars.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to work during uni-your situation isn't unusual in the slightest.

May I ask why you need a first class honours?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello,

At the end of the day it comes down to how many hours a week in 'contact time' you have in university and how much free time you have and then at the end of the day, how you deal with balancing social, education and work all in one.
    Some people can do it, others can't.

I didn't work in my first year but I know people that did and they managed it; As for 'first year counting' - well that depends on the university and how they do grading. My university first year didn't exactly 'count' as in the grades didn't go towards anything overall where as other universities and their first year grades count towards something.

I've just got a job going into my third year that's 16 hours a week. Mainly all weekend with a few hours in the evenings which isn't too bad and personally, I can balance that - again, personal preference. You wouldn't be able to do a full time job during first year - that wouldn't be suggestible at all. First year may not count but you grades would suffer (maybe) and it wouldn't reflect well on you as a student. Three days a week doesn't sound too bad... to some it's a lot, to others it's nothing. At the end of the day, it's down to you and how you believe you can handle it!

ReputationRep:
    I worked 8 hours a week during my final year and managed to get a First. It just depends on how organised you are with your time and how flexible your work schedule is.

ReputationRep:
    It is doable to work 3 days a week - I've done this during my 1st & 2nd years at uni and I'm due to start 3rd year in September

And no 1st year grades do not count

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I worked 25 hours per week during my first and second years, neither years count towards my final classification, but they were both first class averages. You probably can't work full time in first year because you need to be available for classes (most unis expect you to be available for classes mon-fri 8am-6pm, even though you obviously won't be in class for all of that time). As long as you study efficiently, 3 days a week of work during first year shouldn't be too problematic.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your timetable and your uni. Some unis will have a minimum attendance requirement. If the lectures for one or more modules fall on your working days, then you're pretty much bound to fall foul of a rule like that. Even unis without a set attendance requirement can withdraw you from your course for "Failure to engage" - that can happen even if you get good marks. At my current uni, it would certainly be discussed if you missed all of the lectures for one or more modules, or failed to turn up for smaller group tutorials and seminars.

It's very risky to make any kind of work committment Mon-Fri 9-5, before getting your timetable.*

Apart from that, if your uni will wear it, there's no reason why a well-organised study regime wouldn't get you a First. You risk burnout, but it's not impossible.*

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, it depends on your lesson hours, your work hours and how well you can organise your time. You shouldn't skip any classes if you want to get the first. Even if it's during your first year, a lot is covered that you might need during the next years.

If you really need the money, call the uni and ask for deferred entry and work for a year saving up money so that just a weekend job would be enough to cover the rest.

Also keep in mind that if you want to get First and work 3 days a week, you won't have much time to relax and can easily burn out if you don't manage your time correctly.

ReputationRep:
    I would say to try to get less hours if you can, if not try to find an alternative job

ReputationRep:
    I work 20 hours a week minimum at one job and 10-15 at the other, and i'm doing fine. Going into my third year i'll carry on doing this because I know my timetable is very bare allowing me enough time to work and study

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to mention the whole "first year doesn't count" thing.

While yes first year at most universities doesn't count towards you final degree classification that doesn't mean the grades you get don't matter. For one you need to get into good habits immediately, peoples grades on average tend to drop every year as it gets harder each year.Second to that if you are planning to go on a placement they'll be looking at your first year transcript to see if you are a good candidate (as when looking you won't have 2nd year grades yet) and having only passes in first year won't look good on your part. Furthermore some universities/ departments may not assist student and recommended students to affiliated placement openings if they have below a certain grade. My uni course won't if you get below 60% in first year.

So keep that in mind. First year does count, just not towards your overall grade (at most unis).

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.