Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I completed first year in the 'party halls' but a) was in the small flats (generally less fun) and b) had an immense amount of family drama so I ended up causing flat drama and I pretty much exiled myself from the group; actually left Murano before term ended and moved home since my house was close. I should point out that I did apologise etc. so nobody actually wanted me to leave. Okay, so roll around second year and I hate being at home but am in denial about it (very strict and toxic family). I failed second year and changed my degree which I genuinely wanted to do. Because of my shaky track record I have to go back into first year of this new degree.

I have two options: get a room close to Uni with strangers. This will be cheaper and I will probably see my current friends more often although they will be leaving Uni two years before me.

Go back into party halls: this costs more but still cheaper than other halls. I will be around a lot of people so will inevitably make friends and have people to move in with for the following years. I also get a do-over (was in a really bad place last time) but I don't want to fall into old habits or feel as though I am past this kind of lifestyle. What would you do?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dreadfuse)
    I completed first year in the 'party halls' but a) was in the small flats (generally less fun) and b) had an immense amount of family drama so I ended up causing flat drama and I pretty much exiled myself from the group; actually left Murano before term ended and moved home since my house was close. I should point out that I did apologise etc. so nobody actually wanted me to leave. Okay, so roll around second year and I hate being at home but am in denial about it (very strict and toxic family). I failed second year and changed my degree which I genuinely wanted to do. Because of my shaky track record I have to go back into first year of this new degree.

I have two options: get a room close to Uni with strangers. This will be cheaper and I will probably see my current friends more often although they will be leaving Uni two years before me.

Go back into party halls: this costs more but still cheaper than other halls. I will be around a lot of people so will inevitably make friends and have people to move in with for the following years. I also get a do-over (was in a really bad place last time) but I don't want to fall into old habits or feel as though I am past this kind of lifestyle. What would you do?
    Hello,

I wouldn't suggest going back to 'party' halls. It sounds like you've tried it first time but it just didn't work for you or fit but at the same time I wouldn't suggest staying at home as it sounds like it's toxic, as you said, to your academic career. I think you need to move into this student house, therefore you have your own little house where you can focus on work and get your head back into university.

I'd personally say that halls is only a 'one-time' thing. I couldn't have done it for two years in a row but then again, some people could! It's personal experience about what you believe you need to do but that's what I suggest.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello,

I wouldn't suggest going back to 'party' halls. It sounds like you've tried it first time but it just didn't work for you or fit but at the same time I wouldn't suggest staying at home as it sounds like it's toxic, as you said, to your academic career. I think you need to move into this student house, therefore you have your own little house where you can focus on work and get your head back into university.

I'd personally say that halls is only a 'one-time' thing. I couldn't have done it for two years in a row but then again, some people could! It's personal experience about what you believe you need to do but that's what I suggest.

Best of luck!
    Hey! I really appreciate your advice, I think you're right. It's just hard not to be scared of being alone when you know your family will 100% ostracise you for leaving (they have before). I worry about not meeting that many people in my course/societies and bonding with them the way I did in halls because it *was* an amazing experience. But then I don't want to spend a year 're-capturing' an experience. It could be better this time round because I am less ****ed in the head but I could also be underestimating my maturity and it could feel like the wrong place to be at 21. I just sabotaged myself towards the end of term because things in my life and my mind were just so crazy. I guess a part of me feels I missed out on the experience because I was so caught up in **** but it could just be nostalgia whispering me back.

On the other hand I did develop an alcohol problem, couldn't hold down a job and scraped my exams. I really wanna do well this degree round.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper

Baby, I say go into halls. Think of it as a do-over. You'll be a fresher, you'll be a first year. It's your second time to try it again! One time isn't enough! If you get married, tried it and divorced, who is anyone to tell you you shouldn't marry again? Same with failing a driving test. Is anyone gonna tell you you should drive again?

I personally think if you've been given an opportunity to meet new friends to explore a diff uni and a diff town and whatnot, then you should (imo) go and live in halls. That's what I did. Granted, I didn't really get on with my flatmates (on my side). I got on with the other side more towards the end of the year. But made real close friends with other block mates anyway so it was fine! Remember, you're not entitled to stay or "be" friends with your flatmates.

If you're worried about being isolated because you'll be living in a house, then I say do the halls, then after a year just move into a house. That's what I would do.

You gotta think like a Fresher chick. Enjoy it; I did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Baby, I say go into halls. Think of it as a do-over. You'll be a fresher, you'll be a first year. It's your second time to try it again! One time isn't enough! If you get married, tried it and divorced, who is anyone to tell you you shouldn't marry again? Same with failing a driving test. Is anyone gonna tell you you should drive again?

I personally think if you've been given an opportunity to meet new friends to explore a diff uni and a diff town and whatnot, then you should (imo) go and live in halls. That's what I did. Granted, I didn't really get on with my flatmates (on my side). I got on with the other side more towards the end of the year. But made real close friends with other block mates anyway so it was fine! Remember, you're not entitled to stay or "be" friends with your flatmates.

If you're worried about being isolated because you'll be living in a house, then I say do the halls, then after a year just move into a house. That's what I would do.

You gotta think like a Fresher chick. Enjoy it; I did!
    Haha, that's such a fun-loving response. It's weird isn't it, how you feel as though there is some kind of stigma about going back? I should have mentioned I will actually be in the same Uni but I still imagine it would be a different experience because different people. The people were also so amazing last time that I don't want to end up comparing. I have some thinking to do though, I prioritised everything other than studies and health last time and I am very paranoid this will happen again. But that does give me some perspective, thank you! Did you enjoy halls more the second time round? I feel like I know so much more now and I wonder how this would affect the experience.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Haha, that's such a fun-loving response. It's weird isn't it, how you feel as though there is some kind of stigma about going back? I should have mentioned I will actually be in the same Uni but I still imagine it would be a different experience because different people. The people were also so amazing last time that I don't want to end up comparing. I have some thinking to do though, I prioritised everything other than studies and health last time and I am very paranoid this will happen again. But that does give me some perspective, thank you! Did you enjoy halls more the second time round? I feel like I know so much more now and I wonder how this would affect the experience.
    I'm excited for your new change hunny! There is no stigma about going back or if there is, I was not part of it. Actually all the friends that I made at uni or the majority were either gap year students or students that studied at a previous university. And believe me and you, it was the last thing we ever spoke about. Of course when we first met, we asked what we did previously to coming to uni but that was it. I believe there's a lot more students that decide to change or leave uni in favour of another.

Yeah it's still gonna be a different experience because you;ll be surrounded with a bunch of new people who will just be as nervous as you so don't worry about that! You have an opportunity to start again. Oh yeah I 100% agree but I think it's part of our human experience to compare and contrast our past experience with present ones. I did this all the time between my two different uni experiences. I compared everything. But you've to always remember why the reason is for you to change course.

Well that's the beauty of 2nd chances. You get the time to reflect and look at what went wrong and try to change it. In my opinin, you definitely need to put your health and studies first. Your health is the upmost thing you should be concerned about. You can do a lot of things but if your health is bad, then what is the point of doing things if you can't enjoy it because you have ill-health? You're at uni to get a degree so you can set up your future. yes, there will be plenty of opportunities to party and so forth, but you shouldn't put your social life ahead of your studies and vice-versa. You need to find a balance between the two and I think that should be your main focus sweetheart.

I had much more of a difficult time with my halls simply because I applied for a mix sex but I got all boys and there were lads who liked going gym and drinking protein shakes. I get on better with girls so it was definitely outside my comfort zone. But like my previous uni, I made more friends from different blocks and so forth. And it way better anyway, cause you get to meet so many people and drama will always be in halls and to have friends a few feet away where you can chill and have a laugh with is the best way to escape your stress or when you're feeling a bit sad. That's what happened to me. I made such great friends from block-mates. However, I did make friends with my flat once a guy left and we all in fact, became closer to one another. So we all blame the guy cause he was a right *****.

Uni is what you make it, just like life to be honest. You will go through ups and downs throughout your uni experience and life is a lesson that you will learn from. So learn from all the mishaps that you experienced last year to try and avoid them.

I leave with this quote "Life sometimes does not go the way you want it to go. Life goes the way it's supposed to go."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.