Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of applying to be a Legal Officer in the RAF and have been told that the officer training for Legal, Medical, etc, is shorter than the IOT - can anyone tell me what the format for the SERE is, what it includes and how it differs to IOT?

Thanks in advance.

AyshC
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    If you search through my posts I have discussed this in some detail before. But basically SERE is a shortened version of IOT where the focus is on giving you the basics of what the other officers are learning on IOT, on making sure you won't disgrace yourself wrt to the basic military procedures, traditions, courtesies etc. But it also treats you much more as a professional. Consider that most people going through IOT, although they have aptitudes and qualifications, do not have the exact skill set that the Service wants, they have to be moulded to fit the Service's needs. SERE cadets are joining because of their pre-existing skills and qualifications, there is very much less professional moulding that needs to be done to them. For this reason, SERE, whilst it has its tough moments, isn't the beasting that IOT can sometimes appear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.