Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!
    So my grade 11 average was on the low side (89%). I'm planning to apply for HSPS and my socials 11 grade was 86%, if i take corresponding subjects for the degree i intend to apply to(e.g. AP European History, AP Statistics, AP Comparative Government & Politics etc) and get mid 90s predicted grades and achieve them , is there still a possibility i may be offered an interview and consequently an acceptance?

This is assuming that my SAT I and SAT IIs are really high( which they are)!
    My extracurriculars are also noteworthy and i will put my everything into my essays and ensure strong recommendation letters.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunnin4cambridge)
    Hi!!
    So my grade 11 average was on the low side (89%). I'm planning to apply for HSPS and my socials 11 grade was 86%, if i take corresponding subjects for the degree i intend to apply to(e.g. AP European History, AP Statistics, AP Comparative Government & Politics etc) and get mid 90s predicted grades and achieve them , is there still a possibility i may be offered an interview and consequently an acceptance?

This is assuming that my SAT I and SAT IIs are really high( which they are)!
    My extracurriculars are also noteworthy and i will put my everything into my essays and ensure strong recommendation letters.

Thanks in advance!
    Hello, I'm an international offer holder from Cam, so I think I can give some advice here. I can't say much specifically about HSPS because I'm a mathmo, but here goes.

I'd think you have a fair chance at Cam, if your year 12 marks hold up. At Cam, the interviews are also quite significant so your performance there too will make a difference. APs matter, and I'd suggest you take one more. Again I don't know about HSPS, but for the physical sciences Camb wants 5s in five APs. Doing relevant ones will certainly help – I don't think they care too much about APs in unconnected subjects though I'm hardly one to speak having written 15 APs in every possible subject.

Depending on the other components I think you have a good chance at an interview: they interview everyone who they think has a fair shot at Cambridge. They only reject without interviewing those who they think have no chance.

The other thing I must alert you too is the difference between application processes in North America and in England. They don't care too much about extra-curriculars at Cambridge unless they're directly related to your course. And even then they pale in significance to academics. Also, in England they don't have essays. They have one Statement of Purpose which is very different in style from the essays. I'm not familiar with the Canadian process, but Cambridge SoPs are very different from American essays. They don't care for flowery language or an excellent writing style. You must of course remove any spelling or grammatical errors, but you won't get extra points. What they're looking for is a strong passion for your subject and a demonstration of commitment. There's only 1 reco letter btw, from a teacher in the relevant subject. And I don't think they care too much about SAT/ACT (I put mine because I had 36 in ACT and 800 in 3 SAT IIs – but the impression I got was that it was one of those things that they ask for just for the sake of asking)

Goodluck

ReputationRep:
    krishdesai7 that is good advice. I have a little to add.

Grades and scores are only the initial hurdle. Your grades seem on the low side, but that should not be an impediment if you have developed your academic interests, particularly if independently. Then, if you are lucky, the interviewers will like you as someone they would like to teach.

In my daughter's experience (she applied from France but is American), she had low grades in the first year of her BAC, about in the range of what you reported. The subjects were relatively weak ones for her, so her stronger ones were coming at the end - this greatly worried us. Regarding her essays, she had pursued a great deal of her own research and had had solid experience on related archaeology sites in Israel, so she has plenty of material to work from. In spite of her low marks, she got an interview and went in person, where they grilled until she couldn't answer anymore, but they liked the way she reasoned and saw her interests were genuine. It was enough to get her a conditional offer with very high requirements on her BAC results, like in the upper 1%. She met her conditions and just graduated Cam.

I would encourage you to try. Cam absolutely lives up to its reputation as a center of excellence in both teaching and training. It was much more stressful, even traumatic at times, than we anticipated. She is glad to have done it but glad it is over.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much!

I will be graduating with 12 APs under my belt. Also, as a result of exam marks my social grade has increased to 92%.
    I really appreciate both your replies and will keep them in consideration.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.