Turn on thread page Beta

Nihilism: there is literally no point to life watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I mean seriously we're just born then we live then we die

given enough time, everything I have done and ever will do will cease to matter.

whether I win a nobel prize or spend the rest of my life in jail it doesn't matter

nothing matters

I guess you're just going to leave sarcastic comments but I'm so bummed out right now. life has no point.

so what's the point in living it

(Original post by wwait)

given enough time, everything I have done and ever will do will cease to matter.

whether I win a nobel prize or spend the rest of my life in jail it doesn't matter

nothing matters

I guess you're just going to leave sarcastic comments but I'm so bummed out right now. life has no point.

I am sorry to hear you feel this way. So don't you believe in an afterlife?

ReputationRep:
    Become the best you can be while enjoying life

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much, eat drink and be merry, tomorrow we die.

ReputationRep:
    Agree.

ReputationRep:
    Agree hence why many people say you should enjoy it and always try to better yourself because that should be the ultimate objective in life; achieving the best version of you

ReputationRep:
    this thread is so edgy

ReputationRep:
    Agree.
    It pretty much is, but im trying my best to have fun anyway 😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    I am sorry to hear you feel this way. So don't you believe in an afterlife?
    It's unlikely that it exists.
    Well heaven and hell anyway.

ReputationRep:
    yeahh pretty much how I view life too

(Original post by loveleest)
    It's unlikely that it exists.
    Well heaven and hell anyway.
    Ok I respect your view . But I strongly believe it does exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    ...and then die. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's pretty pointless tbh.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Mod message:

This thread is about nihilism which is 'the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless' and not about the OP being suicidal.

Please note that the discussion of current suicidal thoughts goes against our guidelines and will dealt with by our lovely Peer Support Team, who are especially trained volunteers to deal content of that nature. If you are feeling suicidal please contant either; The Samaritans or Nightline. Their details can be found here; http://www.samaritans.org/ and here; http://nightline.ac.uk/want-to-talk/...our-nightline/.

If you feel in imminent danger of harming yourself it might be a good idea to approach your local A&E department or call 999 for an ambulance.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    (Original post by DauntlessOne)
    Pretty much, eat drink and be merry, tomorrow we die.
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Agree hence why many people say you should enjoy it and always try to better yourself because that should be the ultimate objective in life; achieving the best version of you
    (Original post by wwait)

Some things do, objectively, matter, and there are reasons to act in certain ways. I'd highly recommend reading Parts One and Six of Derek Parfit's On What Matters, followed by The Point of View of the Universe by Singer and de-Lazari Radek.

And, I always find it highly bizarre that many people claim that they're nihilists, and then go on to claim that people should "try to better themselves" or "enjoy life". If there was no meaning to life, then people should not even do these things either. These claims are more in line with the Subjectivist view that there is no objective meaning in life, but that we can create our own meaning. I suppose one could, if one were a nihilist, argue that enjoying oneself is just as unreasonable as dwelling on the idea that life has no meaning, so why not choose to enjoy life.

It reminds me of this comic:

Name:  nihilism.png
Views: 417
Size:  87.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wwait)

nothing matters

How many Nihilists are there? Most people believe there is a definite point to life, they just don't nail it to a religious door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wwait)

nothing matters

Yes what you say is completely true and no one can deny it but some people try to look at life with a different mindset. Some believe in spending their lives on helping others, becoming rich, follow a religion, exploring etc. So my point is try to look at life from a different perspective which could possibly encourage you to pursue something or someone.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, life does have no meaning whatsoever. There is no 'why' we are here; only 'how' did we get here. I think we should definitely scientifically pursue 'how' we got here; although it certainly has no intrinsic purpose, it definitely will make our lives more satisfying so why not?

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose. It does.

--Robert Byrne--

Life is like a ten-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.

--Charles Schulz--

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give!

--Winston Churchill--

Life is exactly what you make. If you make it pointful,it's not pointless . If you make it pointless,it's not pointful.

Name:  1468858671947.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  15.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose. It does.

--Robert Byrne--
    love this one.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.