Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1st year wasn't how I imaged it to be,I felt like I haven't tried my best and I knew I could of done better, something was holding me back.

I am not in a really good mental state (ocd and anxiety,insomnia) I feel like that will be pulling me down as kind of did in the 1st year so I thought to myself what if I took 2nd year off, to sort myself and everything else out, work and save up a bit.

But I am concerned that I might regret it later on, also I will see other class mates finish uni before me and I will see myself being stuck and wasting my time and that I should of not taken 2nd year off.

To describe how I feel, like racing, you don't want to finish last.

I just want someone to tell their opinion, is it a good idea or bad, should I just gut up and do it and hope for the best and fingers crossed everything will work itself out?

I don't know what to do, kind of lost

ReputationRep:
    It's your education and you are paying for it so make your own choice which makes you happy.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go onto 2nd year and take counselling sessions on the side. If you were working full time and you were feeling this way, would you take a year off work? Take what you have learnt in 1st year and apply it to 2nd year. Try to be more organised and set a plan, you can even start making rough plans now. Good luck in whatever you choose to do
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by anon170716)
    1st year wasn't how I imaged it to be,I felt like I haven't tried my best and I knew I could of done better, something was holding me back.

I am not in a really good mental state (ocd and anxiety,insomnia) I feel like that will be pulling me down as kind of did in the 1st year so I thought to myself what if I took 2nd year off, to sort myself and everything else out, work and save up a bit.

But I am concerned that I might regret it later on, also I will see other class mates finish uni before me and I will see myself being stuck and wasting my time and that I should of not taken 2nd year off.

I just want someone to tell their opinion, is it a good idea or bad, should I just gut up and do it and hope for the best and fingers crossed everything will work itself out?

Hello,

At the end of the day it's about your health. Both physically and mentally and you need to understand that your health should always be priority number one. From the sounds of it, I'd personally say, that you made the right decision about taking second year off. It'll give you some time to focus on yourself, save up some money and what not and just prepare yourself for university. It doesn't matter that your friends will be a year ahead, you'll still see them and what not.

At the same time, it's down to you. As someone has mentioned, you are the one paying for university and you've got to do what is best to do. It's either you struggle and keep pushing and don't do as best as you'd like or take a break and then just fully submerge yourself in it and do the best you want to do!

Best of luck, I hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:

The way you "finish last" is by failing your degree or getting a lower grade than you should. It has nothing to do with graduating after the people you started your course with. That won't make any difference at any point in the future.

It would be worth talking to your course leader/uni about suspending for a year. If it isn't possible then the dilemma is resolved and you need to seek help from your Student Support department at the start of your second year.

Also think about the practicalities of taking a year out. You won't get Student Finance and you may already have signed a tenancy agreement. Can your parents support you for a year? You're unlikely to get a job for a year which will pay all of your bills. Are you able to back out of your tenancy agreement? Even if you decide to keep it on, being a non-student in a student house causes complications, as you will be liable to pay Council Tax. There are a few factors to consider beyond just how you feel.

ReputationRep:

Seek help as soon as you can possibly book to see your GP asap

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.