Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who was admitted to Szent Istvan vet school in Budapest tell me what their grades were like when they applied and what courses they had already taken? I want to know what would make my application the best for consideration.

ReputationRep:
    I applied with a 2.1 degree in Zoology, 2 letters of recommendation from vets I had done work experience with and 1 from my thesis supervisor in college. I was admitted, but from what I hear it's not too difficult to get admitted after a biology based degree at all, probably with a 2.2 and above you are fine. Can't speak for undergrad entry as I obviously didn't sit the entrance exam.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok thanks! I don't have a degree in the sciences but i spent my first two years of university studying chemical engineering. I have a 3.5/4.0 gpa in that but I don't have that much experience working with vets. I am working with one this summer and hopefully next summer... I don't know if it helps but I have also been riding horses for over 10 years so i have extensive handling skills. I guess i wanted to get an idea of whether or not my application would even be competitive enough compared to others applying assuming these are my qualifications

ReputationRep:
    Well you don't need a degree to be exempt from the entrance exam, as far as I remember if you have A levels or equivalent in chemistry and biology they might consider you without having to sit the entrance depending on your scores, so just email them and see. So I don't think they will consider you any lesser for not having a biology degree as long as you have solid A level/equivalent scores. I don't remember them asking me anything about me doing work experience on my application, I just had it because I applied other places that did. They do say letters of recommendation are welcome especially from vets, so I suppose that would give you extra brownie points. But to be honest I wouldn't worry, I haven't heard of anyone being refused a place who has applied with a degree. They have a very european approach to admitting students, let lots in and then they expect the numbers to go down as the years go on as some people will fail exams. It is tough like any veterinary school. It is a good school though with a pretty good reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for helping me out! Definitely made me feel better about not having all those thousands of hours some students have when applying to vet school. (I'm from the U.S. and started my university studies in the U.S., but I am currently living in Norway and I have contacted so many vets about shadowing or getting involved in anything in Norway. However, they have told me its not allowed in Norway and the language barrier has also made it quite difficult to get involved even in volunteer shelter work as well...so the hours I have are only from working with vets while I am home in the U.S. --hence why my school choices are somewhat limited and Budapest is one of my higher choices).

Sorry for the essay, but can't thank you enough!

ReputationRep:
    just wanted to know if anyone who is studying Vetmed at budapest? how is the degree and the university? or even if anyone who has graduated from there and is working in the uk?

thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.