Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So which are the graduate jobs that u need to have gud Alevels for? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If anyone can tell me them, thats great? lol. Cos i wanna see what i cant and cannot do..!

Easier to try and think of what you want to do and see if that requires great A-Levels!!! It also has the added bonus of you doing something you like!!!

ReputationRep:
    Most of the 'Milkround' companies (which trawl round univeristy careers fairs looking for graduates) ask for A-level results. These are mostly 'something-in-the-city' type jobs in finance, consultancy, management etc. Blue chip companies. Top 100 employers.

The milkround online is here.

http://www.milkround.com/s4/jobseekers/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Easier to try and think of what you want to do and see if that requires great A-Levels!!! It also has the added bonus of you doing something you like!!!
    lol. good point! actually, i have a fair idea of what i wanna do: something in the creative industries ideally (arts and graphics type stuff). I know there's a big emphasis on your portfolio and experience but Im just not too sure whther grades matter that much... esp when applying for degree level as well as employment wise. :confused:

But if anyone cud tell me what jobs i wudnt stand a chance for-lol.. that wud be great! And dont worry, i have never wanted to be a doctor, nurse, dentist, lawyer, teacher... just a few jobs from the top of my head!

Stuff that I have enjoyed doing are PR type work, marketing and advertising... but im guessing they require specific degrees?

ReputationRep:
    it really depends what a-levels you do, and what degree you do. For example if you got a C at A-level english lit. and then got a 1st degree in English lit then they really would not give a **** about the A-level if you went into something of that nature. Alternatively i will be doing economices at uni and if i went into a finance/political job then they may wish to know about my A in A-level Maths ( i hope!!! ) However if your going into something more creative i would suggest that if you do a creative degree that may involve you having to do some sort of coursework/portfolio work, then graduate employers would probably just look at UNI degree and any coursework you could put with it.
    HOWEVER a lot of companies do briefly skim over all past results ( A-levels AND GCSE's) even if simply to look at how dedicated and hard working you are. For example if you had lots of A*s at GCSE and then came out with 2 E'S at A-level, they may question your ability)

HOPE THAT HELPS IN SOME WEIRD WAY!!

(Original post by *skye*)
    Stuff that I have enjoyed doing are PR type work, marketing and advertising... but im guessing they require specific degrees?
    God no!! Something like 2/3 of jobs don't require a specific degree. Work in marketing and public relations are renowned to seek personal skills above grades and if you do a degree which teaches these "tranferable skills" that we keep hearing so much about then you have a good starting point.

I'm going to be honest and say that I have absolutely no knowledge of the art industries but I would guess that it would be the same for all design and skill based jobs that your grades don't mean anything unless you have the experience / portfolio / skills to back it up. I'm sure in areas such as these, your grades will be of far less importance than your skills and experience.

I don't think that it is really specific job types that usually ask for ceratin grades. I think that it is mainly specific companies that request a grade level minimum from its graduates. Therefore I would assume that if one employer requests grades for a job that you cannot meet, you could simply look for an alternative employer offering the job who's demands you can meet.

ReputationRep:
    Need good/ excellent A-levels for:
    - I-banks.
    - Consultancy.
    - City law firms.

They are a given. If you don't have a majority of As, then it'll be tough going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    If anyone can tell me them, thats great? lol. Cos i wanna see what i cant and cannot do..!
    Mosy of the magic circle City firms, although if you're good and have a proven track record they're less important.

But getting a break to prove it is hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    God no!! Something like 2/3 of jobs don't require a specific degree. Work in marketing and public relations are renowned to seek personal skills above grades and if you do a degree which teaches these "tranferable skills" that we keep hearing so much about then you have a good starting point.

I'm going to be honest and say that I have absolutely no knowledge of the art industries but I would guess that it would be the same for all design and skill based jobs that your grades don't mean anything unless you have the experience / portfolio / skills to back it up. I'm sure in areas such as these, your grades will be of far less importance than your skills and experience.

I don't think that it is really specific job types that usually ask for ceratin grades. I think that it is mainly specific companies that request a grade level minimum from its graduates. Therefore I would assume that if one employer requests grades for a job that you cannot meet, you could simply look for an alternative employer offering the job who's demands you can meet.
    Thanks! thats kinda reassuring... i just hope im up to scratch now! Ive hopefully nabbed some interviews for an arts foundation course for Sept! Fingers cross!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.