Turn on thread page Beta

So which are the graduate jobs that u need to have gud Alevels for? watch

ReputationRep:
    If anyone can tell me them, thats great? lol. Cos i wanna see what i cant and cannot do..!

Easier to try and think of what you want to do and see if that requires great A-Levels!!! It also has the added bonus of you doing something you like!!!

ReputationRep:
    Most of the 'Milkround' companies (which trawl round univeristy careers fairs looking for graduates) ask for A-level results. These are mostly 'something-in-the-city' type jobs in finance, consultancy, management etc. Blue chip companies. Top 100 employers.

The milkround online is here.

http://www.milkround.com/s4/jobseekers/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Easier to try and think of what you want to do and see if that requires great A-Levels!!! It also has the added bonus of you doing something you like!!!
    lol. good point! actually, i have a fair idea of what i wanna do: something in the creative industries ideally (arts and graphics type stuff). I know there's a big emphasis on your portfolio and experience but Im just not too sure whther grades matter that much... esp when applying for degree level as well as employment wise. :confused:

But if anyone cud tell me what jobs i wudnt stand a chance for-lol.. that wud be great! And dont worry, i have never wanted to be a doctor, nurse, dentist, lawyer, teacher... just a few jobs from the top of my head!

Stuff that I have enjoyed doing are PR type work, marketing and advertising... but im guessing they require specific degrees?

ReputationRep:
    it really depends what a-levels you do, and what degree you do. For example if you got a C at A-level english lit. and then got a 1st degree in English lit then they really would not give a **** about the A-level if you went into something of that nature. Alternatively i will be doing economices at uni and if i went into a finance/political job then they may wish to know about my A in A-level Maths ( i hope!!! ) However if your going into something more creative i would suggest that if you do a creative degree that may involve you having to do some sort of coursework/portfolio work, then graduate employers would probably just look at UNI degree and any coursework you could put with it.
    HOWEVER a lot of companies do briefly skim over all past results ( A-levels AND GCSE's) even if simply to look at how dedicated and hard working you are. For example if you had lots of A*s at GCSE and then came out with 2 E'S at A-level, they may question your ability)

HOPE THAT HELPS IN SOME WEIRD WAY!!

(Original post by *skye*)
    Stuff that I have enjoyed doing are PR type work, marketing and advertising... but im guessing they require specific degrees?
    God no!! Something like 2/3 of jobs don't require a specific degree. Work in marketing and public relations are renowned to seek personal skills above grades and if you do a degree which teaches these "tranferable skills" that we keep hearing so much about then you have a good starting point.

I'm going to be honest and say that I have absolutely no knowledge of the art industries but I would guess that it would be the same for all design and skill based jobs that your grades don't mean anything unless you have the experience / portfolio / skills to back it up. I'm sure in areas such as these, your grades will be of far less importance than your skills and experience.

I don't think that it is really specific job types that usually ask for ceratin grades. I think that it is mainly specific companies that request a grade level minimum from its graduates. Therefore I would assume that if one employer requests grades for a job that you cannot meet, you could simply look for an alternative employer offering the job who's demands you can meet.

ReputationRep:
    Need good/ excellent A-levels for:
    - I-banks.
    - Consultancy.
    - City law firms.

They are a given. If you don't have a majority of As, then it'll be tough going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    If anyone can tell me them, thats great? lol. Cos i wanna see what i cant and cannot do..!
    Mosy of the magic circle City firms, although if you're good and have a proven track record they're less important.

But getting a break to prove it is hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    God no!! Something like 2/3 of jobs don't require a specific degree. Work in marketing and public relations are renowned to seek personal skills above grades and if you do a degree which teaches these "tranferable skills" that we keep hearing so much about then you have a good starting point.

I'm going to be honest and say that I have absolutely no knowledge of the art industries but I would guess that it would be the same for all design and skill based jobs that your grades don't mean anything unless you have the experience / portfolio / skills to back it up. I'm sure in areas such as these, your grades will be of far less importance than your skills and experience.

I don't think that it is really specific job types that usually ask for ceratin grades. I think that it is mainly specific companies that request a grade level minimum from its graduates. Therefore I would assume that if one employer requests grades for a job that you cannot meet, you could simply look for an alternative employer offering the job who's demands you can meet.
    Thanks! thats kinda reassuring... i just hope im up to scratch now! Ive hopefully nabbed some interviews for an arts foundation course for Sept! Fingers cross!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.