Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, was just hoping for some feedback on why everyone seems to disregard Northumbria as a good University for law when it is the only university in the country to offer the conversion courses for becoming a Barrister/Solicitor in its degree, avoiding the extra cost of training if one only has an LLB from another University. To me it appears quite good, it has a student law office, and mixes practical work with real clients, with the normal teaching so students are better prepared, that's just my opinion though...do teach me if I'm wrong!! I'm just going up into year 13 now and have chosen all five of my universities to apply to, should I replace Northumbria on my list with another university if I'm applying to Newcastle??

Currently my choices are:
    : Oxford/maybe Cambridge but I didn't realy like it when I visited the open day and I'm only applying to Oxford/Cambridge if my grades are quite good-though it is AAA everywhere else as well! lol
    : Durham
    : Warwick
    : Newcastle
    : Northumbria

Thanks guys, sorry was such a long post!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Your post wasn't that long. Much better to explain your question fully rather than just post "hey guyz wat u fink of nthmbria thx".

I remember some of Northumbria's application people being quite persuasive when they came round to visit schools and suchlike. Their student law office is a good idea though not entirely unique (though I can't remember off the top of my head which universities have something similar), and the 'mixing' the degree and solictor/barrister qualifications has its plus points.

Unfortunately the simple fact of the matter is that top solictors' firms will not consider recruiting from Northumbria when looking for students to go in their most competitive places. Similarly, barristers looking for pupillage candidates (not that I am saying there is such a thing as a barrister actively looking for pupillage candidates!) will only tend to consider the very top universities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there i have an accademic profile almost the same as yours, and i too looked at the benefits of northumbria. I've just finished year 13 and have obviously applied to uni etc. I saw all the benefits of northumbria and i thought that it looked like a fantastic uni! BUT after a few family members (in the legal proffession) and a few people on the student room, but pretty much everyone i spoke to said that if i wanted a good jub in the legal proffession (which of course i do) then no respectable firm would look at me if i came from an ex- polytechnic (i think thats the word they used) but it means that its a bit harder to get a job with a degree from northumbria than it is from say newcastle/ durham/nottingham etc. Yeah you may save a bit of money but in the long run, when your making it all back at the end of it all, it will be worth the extra £3/4 grand.

Try your luck at the best unis you can, i did with durham and i got in, and think about money after it all when your on a lot of it!

Stacey- Durham law 07

ReputationRep:
    no respectable firm would look at me if i came from an ex- polytechnic
    If you define respectable as magic circle, then I'm sure you are probably right. But if you would be happy working in a decent regional firm like Dickinson Dees, Northumbria might not be such a bad insurance. From their graduate profiles on the web site, they have recruited several people from Northumbria, as well as more upscale unis.

I know that regional firms like you to have some ties to the region (family or uni), hoping that you don't catch the first train to London once you're qualified.

Having said all that, if you get offers from your other choices, you'd be mad not to take them.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Northumbria and thought it looked decent as a few of my mates do law there and they enjoy it. It turned out one got CCC in his a levels and still got in (they claim ABB requirements) REALLY put me off, plus didn't like the campus when I visited.. I'd def work hard for your other choices!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 29, 2007

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.