The Student Room Group

Chemistry or physics a levels

I'm choosing my a level subjects, I'm definitely choosing maths and computer science but I'm not sure whether to choose chemistry or physics. I know if I pick chemistry I can go down the medical route, what can you do with physics, is it just engineering?
Original post by Nsunder0808
I'm choosing my a level subjects, I'm definitely choosing maths and computer science but I'm not sure whether to choose chemistry or physics. I know if I pick chemistry I can go down the medical route, what can you do with physics, is it just engineering?

It really depends on what area you want to have a career in. If you think you might want to do medicine then you have to take chemistry, without it your application will be so limited. I think most engineering degrees would need physics also. Could you not take both and then drop one, so that at least you have an AS in one. It also gives you another year to find out which area you want to go into. I did this and have gone from physics being my best and favourite subject to dropping it this year.
Hey, honestly you could make this decision so much easier for yourself if you do just a little bit more research

1) Watch YouTube videos about life as a doctor and life as an engineer, read about the different careers in medicine and engineering, find out about the working hours for both. Doing this will help you decide which path you are really interested in

2) Physics and Chemistry are both equally challenging. However, it helps if you are interested in either one of them. Look at the course content for each of them and see how you feel about them - find the specifications online and compare them

3) How do you feel about Maths? If you are really, really keen about maths, then lean towards Physics. If maths is not something you've ever really enjoyed, Chemistry would be better

4) Maths and Computer Science go well with Physics and Further Maths because they are all very quantitative. My subject choices are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics and they complement each other very nicely but they are all very difficult and require a lot of studying. With these subjects I can do a degree in most fields of engineering, finance, economics, law, business, maths, physics and a lot more. The thing that motivates me, however, is that I know exactly what I want to study at university and the career I want to go into - this allows me to commit myself to my studies no matter how hard they get
Firstly, are you 100% sure you want to study medicine? I was 100% sure I wanted to study medicine 3 days ago, now I fell in love with Physics and I am definitely going to pursue it in the future.

Chemistry is a nice subject, but most of it in AS is Mathematics. Same with Physics, but Physics is more interesting. You can study law with physics, you can become an architect, you can become an astronaut. I recommend Physics, beautiful subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
althougb some engineering degrees want maths and another science

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg same as me im leaning down the chenistry route instead of medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suggest you do physics as it would go nice with maths and computer science but if you want to keep your optipns more open like to do medicine as you said do chemistry because it is essential in almost every medicine course its hard but if you like the subject will be very interesting I didnt do phtsics but im sure the same applies for physics all depends on which you like more (probably think about what you enjoyed more at gcse)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dexterminate
Firstly, are you 100% sure you want to study medicine? I was 100% sure I wanted to study medicine 3 days ago, now I fell in love with Physics and I am definitely going to pursue it in the future.

Chemistry is a nice subject, but most of it in AS is Mathematics. Same with Physics, but Physics is more interesting. You can study law with physics, you can become an architect, you can become an astronaut. I recommend Physics, beautiful subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was obsessed with reading and watching videos for A level Physics before I even started the course! It's a really interesting subject.

To the OP: You can also pursue Computer Science at university.
Original post by ColossalAtom
I was obsessed with reading and watching videos for A level Physics before I even started the course! It's a really interesting subject.

To the OP: You can also pursue Computer Science at university.

Same! Especially qm, it’s intriguing
Original post by dexterminate

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it isn't, there is a small amount of maths but not most of it
Original post by samb1234
No it isn't, there is a small amount of maths but not most of it

Yeah, there is lol. Depends on the exam board, I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest